We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

What else is there to see/do other than the theme parks? The parks are so so expensive it is looking like we have to choose 1 or 2 and no more if we want money otherwise..sad but true. Any suggestions on things to do/see...Where is a nice place to drive to, shopping, flea markets, comedy club etc etc...pleae help! thank you!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

For shopping, there are a lot of outlet malls, Premium Outlet Mall on south International Drive, the Prime Outlets Mall on north International Drive, Lake Buena Vista Outlets on SR 535 just to name a few. There is a great flea market, Renninger's, in Mount Dora (about a half hour northwest of Orlando)and of course, you can drive to the beach. Cocoa Beach is about 45 minutes east of the Orlando Airport. Clearwater Beach and St. Pete Beach are about 2 hours west.

I don't know what your theme park budget is, but there are some options. There isn't a lot of night life in Orlando since downtown kind of went downhill. Your best choices are CityWalk at Universal or Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney. Disney Quest is an indoor virtual theme park, that costs less than half the price of one of the major parks. You can find out a lot of info on PI and Disney Quest at allearsnet.com. If your budget will stretch to about $200 per person, you can get the Orlando 4 Park Flex ticket, which gets you into Universal, Islands of Adventure, Sea World and Wet N Wild Water Park for 14 days unlimited admission. If you are here for a while, it works out to be a great deal. If you do some scouting on the Internet, you can sometimes find them discounted, which makes them an even better deal.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
115 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

Old town is really a fun place to just walk around and be nostalgic. If you make it there on a saturday night (if i member correctly) they have an old car show which is pretty kewl to check out as well and its free which is even better! Find a coupon booklet, great ideas and money savers as well. No matter what you do, remember your on vacation, so if you do NOTHING, its still better than work! Enjoy!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

I don't know if you have any money set aside for tickets, but how about a Orlando Flex Ticket?

mousesavers.com/orlandopasses.html#flexticket

It gives you a wide range of parks and options. Worth a look.

Historic Bok Sanctuary (www.boksanctuary.org/) and Canaveral National Seashore (www.nps.gov/cana/) - uncrowded and excellent on the Atlantic are both worth a trip. Mt Dora has a big antiques/flea market, Renningers. See www.renningers.com/frameset.html

And Orlando for free

www.free-attractions.com/orlando_florida.htm

Pleasure Island costs, but it covers all the clubs including an improve comedy club that I really enjoyed.

There's lots to do besides expensive theme parks. Enjoy!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

How about an airboat ride? I think they are about $20 a person.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

There's Flea World in Sanford, and Maingate Flea Market on 192 in Kissimme (next to the big orange).

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

Where about in the world are you from? im from the uk and got all the Disney(epcot,animal, magical, mgm and all the water parks) and all the Universal parks (studios, island of adventure, seaworld and wet n wild) all for £240 each adult($ dont know) for 2 week passes so we could go back and forth between both centres (1 week is a little cheaper) Try www.orlandoticketdeals.co.uk. Island of adventure is catered for adults, mgm is cool, Animal kingdom is ok. Seaworld good for sealife and epcot is older orientated . All the parks have great shows and last about 1/2 hour each, All parks have displays at night.

You say your on limited budget but if your gonna go to all these places above (most shows are all inclusive of food and drink so cost a fair bit). shopping you gonna spend loads.

This might sound harsh but i would of waited untill next year and saved to do most of it, isnt that why people go to Orlando ect... for, or go to a beach resort and that way you only spend on food. Put it this way i couldnt do all the parks in full in 2 weeks and was too knackered to do night shows ect.. after coming back from the parks at 11pm+ at night.

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

Where about in the world are you from? im from the uk and got all the Disney(epcot,animal, magical, mgm and all the water parks) and all the Universal parks (studios, island of adventure, seaworld and wet n wild) all for £240 each adult($ dont know) for 2 week passes so we could go back and forth between both centres (1 week is a little cheaper) Try www.orlandoticketdeals.co.uk. Island of adventure is catered for adults, mgm is cool, Animal kingdom is ok. Seaworld good for sealife and epcot is older orientated . All the parks have great shows and last about 1/2 hour each, All parks have displays at night.

You say your on limited budget but if your gonna go to all these places above (most shows are all inclusive of food and drink so cost a fair bit). shopping you gonna spend loads.

This might sound harsh but i would of waited untill next year and saved to do most of it, isnt that why people go to Orlando ect... for, or go to a beach resort and that way you only spend on food. Put it this way i couldnt do all the parks in full in 2 weeks and was too knackered to do night shows ect.. after coming back from the parks at 11pm+ at night.

london
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

fla4fun you say downtown orlando has gone downhill for night life is this bad. i hope not was hoping to spend a couple of evenings there during my stay. has it become a dump then??? hooligans roaming around etc.......

NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

I will try all your reccomendations...THANK YOU ALL!! WOW I did not realize clearwater st pete beach was 2 hr away!!! Guess we will go to Cocoa...hope it is nice to see...

DOWNTOWN DISNEY...Is is still nice to SEE walk around shops etc etc..and is DOWNTOWN DISNEY and OLD TOWN 2 diff places? ALSO, is OLD TOWN "CELEBRATION"...lol Heard they are the same thing..also head they ahve a night that is "bike night" which would interest us more than old cars....

The flex ticket sounds great but I do not think it could include of parks of choice...MGM, KINGDOM, ANIMAL kingdown, epcot, universal. We do not care to go to Sea world or wet wild etc...already been.

I am not tryign to pennie pinch to the person that asked why didnt I save...I DID save but its hard..We can do things just at 65-70 doallars a PARK a PERSON there is no way. Parks are a ripoff I think, its gettin me to the point where itll be 1 maybe 2 that is it....cant afford it with food etc too!

Thanks for all your input hoep to hear back on these questions too...thanks again!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are THINGS TO DO orlando AREA other than parks for a...

Old Town and Celebration are two different things, though they are close to each other.

Old Town is a rather touristy shopping and ride area on 192 east.

Celebration is a village type/new urbanism town, also off of 192, with lots of houses and very upscale condos (heard an ad that says there are new condos starting at 400,000) and shopping, with a hotel or hotels and a golf course. Celebration was originally developed by Disney.

To understand the difference, it's as different as International Drive north of Sand Lake Rd. (like Old Town), vs. the upscale restaurant area of "restaurant row" in Dr. Phillips (Sand Lake Rd. west of International Drive and I-4)).