We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in the US

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Tipping in the US

Hi,

I have read so many articles on tipping in the US as this is not all that common in Australia. So that I don't get anyone off side on my first day, does anyone have any tips for tipping.

Cheers Lisa

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in the US

My suggestion would be to do a search on Orlando forum for a multitude of threads on tipping. Some very detailed discussions which would answer most of your questions. If not, please come back with specific questions.

Have fun on your trip!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in the US

The recommended % is 20% of the bill. In restaurants if you're a group of 6 sometimes 8 or more this is automatically added to the bill.

You don't have to give as much as 20%. Many do 15 or as little as 12%.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
872 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in the US

Having ohana in the industy, Chuts is correct 15% or better depending on the service. Have a great time don't envy you on your long flight though

Aloha

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
390 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in the US

I have a question re. tipping in the US - who decides the percentage as 15% or 20%? the locals? what about the percentage for tourists whose currency conversion rates are so poor versus the dollar that they just cant afford to tip. would you categorise them as bad tourists? should they not plan a trip to the US at all?

I visited the US a couple of days back and though i loved the place and will go back again, what i cannot figure out is why the entire country is hankering for tips. Is tipping not optional? can i not decide if i want to tip at all and how much? would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in the US

Oh fabulous a tipping thread... Just when I was a little bored... grabbing a glass of wine now and waiting for the fun to begin :)))))

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in the US

Here we go again......

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in the US

Navi, search the threads. Yes, it is customary. That is how most servers earn their income. The fact that your currency isn't worth much won't pay their rent.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in the US

Think it's well overdue that the forum moderators consider displaying some form of tipping advisory notice as this question is being asked over & over again.

It's beginning to become rather tedious, not so much that the question is being asked but the way in which these threads rapidly deteriorate into verbal slanging matches before being repeatedly closed.

Yes, there are people who want to know about tipping and don't know how to search through the forum topics, and yes there are also those of us who are more than willing to help, but it is beginning to wear a little bit thin.

Come on you moderators save our sanity and help us out a bit.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 13:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in the US

Agree!

Lisa do a search on trip advisor or google it. You'll find lots of advice.

These tipping threads get painful!!! :0/

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in the US

I wasn't trying to be cruel either. I was just trying to get a point across. I agree about the advisory notice.