We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

Ok...I am trying to find the most economical way to stay and visit WDW- (all 4 parks) , Universal Studios (Both Parks), possibly Sea World, and more than likely at least one waterpark. We are coming June 25-July9th- Bad time of year I know but It's all I had off from work. My kids are 10 and 8 and I would like to stay on Disney property for at least part of the trip. I was thinking of booking Disney POP for the first 7 days- that way I could use the Magical express to get to the hotel. Then moving to an offsite to a very cheap basic hotel that is still fairly close to WDW parks or universal studios and either use shuttle busses or simply rent a car for the second week. If I rented a car I would make sure I could either return it at the airport or that they would take us to the airport. I guess I could take the magical express back to the airport and pick up a rental car there- but what a waste of time! I am concerned that two weeks of long lines in amusement parks and the crowds on disney property may be to overwhelming! Maybe an overnight to the beach? Not sure! Do you all think that changing hotels mid stay will be a huge hassle or worth it to save $$? Which tickets to get are another dilema!!! How fun is Disney Quest? Is it worth it to add on the waterparks and more option?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

I'm an off park stayer...lol does that make sense? We drive down so I always have a car, and I just cant justfy spending the onsite amounts for a room even if it does get me exrta hours or free transport to the parks...but thats just my opinion. I think staying in 2 different hotels is a bit of a hassle, and weither you stay on site or off, I think staying put for the whole 2 weeks is the best bet.

I've done all 4 parks and both Universals. I have never done Quest or the water parks. (they're closed when I go :( )

There are tons of off site opitions if you choose that route, from smaller hotels, to condos, to villas. I stayed at the Red Roof Inn (kissimmee) one night while we waited for our rental house to be ready, it was cheap, and clean. Fairly large, fridge, coffee machine same parking lot at Pizza Hut lol. The pool was outdoor, but in June wouldn't matter, and it was nice. Just an option anyway. There will be long lines, but if your're a planner, you should be alright :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

frazzle, there is always at least one Disney waterpark open year round :)

One is refurbished Nov/Dec the other Jan/Feb

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

we go end of dec to mid jan. and I am not a fan of water parks anyway lol easier to tell kids they're closed;) . Its never been really warm enough anyway, and gosh darn it, Im there for the MOUSE ;)

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

You are right too many options..

If this is your first trip you cant hope to see everything in two weeks. I would stay on site the two weeks in a Disney resort and enjoy all the extras. The EMH will benefit with it being summer hols this will maximise your hours in the park. As for the second week, if all you are doing are the two Universal parks and seaworld, it would probably be just as well to stay onsite and arrange the transport with your resort hotel for those few days.

As you pointed out you will still be doing Disney the second week and would probably not cost much more to stay onsite than to rent a car, pay car parking charges ($14 per park), and the fuel on top. Lots to consider

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

In answer to your Disney Quest inquiry...if you and your kids enjoy video, virtual, and interactive games then it will be fun. If you're not into gaming, then you might want to pass. My kids are definitely gamers (me and hubby as well), so we had a great time.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

You remind me of me-we took our kids 3 summers ago when they were 11 and 13 for a 2 week trip and it's definitely tempting to see EVERYTHING-especially if this is a once in a lifetime (or at least a once every 8-10 years or so!) trip. I finally conceded on cutting out Universal and we did 10 day Disney passes. When we arrived we spent 3 or 4 nights at a Howard Johnson's in Kissimmee-got it for $34/night and thought it was just fine-adequate room, close to the parks, nice pool. Spent our first weekend (3 nights) in Daytona and then went back to Orlando and stayed in a condo for a week. We were glad to have the ten days between the 4 parks-took off some of the pressure of staying in a park from open to close.

If you're trying to economize you should look into renting a condo/townhouse/house-I had found some on VRBO well under $100 night (wound up taking a friend's timeshare instead). Having a kitchen can save you loads over always dining out and having the extra space can save your sanity-4 people in a hotel room for 2 weeks can get ugly-lol.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

Oh, and we enjoy the waterparks-love the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon and even if it's packed its still fun and a change of pace. I haven't looked at ticket options lately but last time we went we just got the 1 park per day option-had always done the hopper the other two times I had been and was a little nervous about not having that option-but it was just fine and I know it saved us some money.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

Stay in Disney with a value resort and transportation and get the dining plan too! I suggest you do this for 8 nights. Then spend the rest at an inexpensive hotel near universal, or spend the money and stay at Universal and get free no wait in lines passes. Do Universal and Seaworld and Aquatica from here. The parks will be busy the advantages to staying on site at both places will pay off big time. 8-9 days at Disney is more than enough to see all four parks both water parks, DTD and any other thing you find worth while. The meal plan is really helpful.

This would be an awesome trip and give you the most bang for your buck......

I hate those guys a Universal who just keep getting on the ride cause they don't have to wait in the lines. If you can swing it that is surely the way to go. Call a travel agent or Disney directly and try and get a great deal!

9. Re: OMG too many options! Help planning 2wk disney/orlando trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 12:15