We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September or early May visit?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
September or early May visit?

We are planning our trip to Disney and area and are wondering what time of year is best to visit? Our two options are: mid September or early May. Which would be the least busy and least humid?

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September or early May visit?

Deffo September, I only go mid to late september,, less people and better sales ;-)) also a bit cooler.

Cheers ;-) Wullie

pa
Level Contributor
54,189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: September or early May visit?

I would vote for September as well. Lower Crowds make the experience so much better. Room rates are less in the Fall, the Food and Wine Festival is going on, weather still quite warm and lovely, Halloween Events start and did I mention Lower Crowd Levels :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September or early May visit?

The crowds are better in mid-September, but the one potential problem then is hurricanes. There have only been a handful of them that have ever shut down WDW, but I had to bail out of a trip in September 2004 because of Hurricane Jeanne. I generally go in early May now, becuase that is before the humid season, and coincides with the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. As a non-drinker, to me the flowers in May are much better at Epcot than all the people wandering around at Epcot with too much to drink in the fall.

Edited: 17 April 2011, 21:28
dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September or early May visit?

Go penguins mentions hurricanes in sept,we have booked sept.first time ever,usually go june.

Two years ago in may i dont think it stopped raining all month,we were worried about going in june,but we got fab weather,so you really cant tell

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September or early May visit?

Yes, I was there in May 2009 for the monsoon too - bad weather follows me everywhere. That was unusually early for the start of the tropic season, however (I think the monsoons started around May 17th in 2009 and lasted the rest of the month). Last year, we went in late April/early May and had a few sprinkles one day. Basically, if you go before mid-May your chances of a long stretch of really lousy weather are reduced.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September or early May visit?

On average, I think the weather is better here in May. We have slightly lower temps and the humidity is noticeably lower than in September. I know my power bill is always lower in May.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,252 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: September or early May visit?

Yo Gabba Gabba!

Weather much better beginning of May in my opinion and gets my vote

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September or early May visit?

We were there at the same time in 2009 so we have opted to go 2 weeks early to try and miss it this year.. We fly on the 3rd of May so not long to go now :)

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: September or early May visit?

We like the May weather better, although we are also veterans of the Great Monsoon of '09, but MNSSHP and Food and Wine would tip the scales over to September (I believe that F&W begins late in the month) for us.

It is more crowded in May (The crowds are lightest at the beginning of the month and increase as it wears on.) but still nothing like some other times of the year! The monsoon was not typical for that time of year. I remember the newscasters went on and on about it. We usually find May MUCH drier than September.

Edited: 18 April 2011, 13:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September or early May visit?

After reading all of your replies, I see that there are perks to both dates.

September: cooler, less crowds, cheaper rates.

May: less humid, prettier grounds (ie:flowers)

Will early-mid October be pretty much the same as September? There is a chance that we may be able to visit over the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday which is October 10 of this year. After checking my calendar, I see that October 10 is also Columbus Day in the US. Am I right to assume that the park will be crazy busy that day? Something I should have mentioned in my original post is that we (my husband and I) are bringing our 6 year old son along with us and we also plan to stay in Treasure Island for 5-7 days. We were going to visit Disney either at the beginning or end of our trip and now that I know Columbus Day is on the 10th, I guess we'll work it out so that we're in Treasure Island that day.

Thanks to all of you for helping me plan our trip to Disney/Florida!