We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Safari

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Safari

Hello travelers. I am looking to go to Orlando in October with my wife, 2 1/2 year old and nanny and another couple with thier two year old.

I wanted to stay at Sheraton Safari however I have just read the recent four page of reviews and it is scary. Smelly hallways etc. Is this true. there are more bad than good. How can you be ranked 300 and still be ok.

Help.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Safari

I've never been to this specific hotel, but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents around.

First, I'm a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, and have stayed at numerous Starwood Properties including Four Points, Sheraton, Westin and St. Regis. I've never been to a property I didn't like, and any problems I've ever had have been well dealt with. That said, any chain does have it's problem properties. One of my favorites went significantly downhill last time I stayed there.

Second, over the lifetime of the property, there have been significantly more 'Very Goods' and 'Excellents' than 'Average,' 'Poor' or 'Terrible.' However, I didn't look through the most recent reviews, so I don't know if perhaps they're more negatively skewed.

Finally, the property is ranked 200, not 300. Mind you, this is out of 340 hotels, which puts it below the halfway mark, and I won't generally go near any property that far down the list, especially when there are much higher listed properties available for around the same price. There are some exceptions to this, but I'm not sure this would be one of them.

Honestly, even as a huge Starwood fan, I'd stay away from them based on TripAdvisor. In fact, I'm doing just that for my upcoming trip. I looked at this property, but went with Four Points by Sheraton Studio City instead.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Safari

We have stayed there a few times in the past and the hotel isn't that bad. It is probably a good place to go with children as there is a nice pool area. Rooms are ok but the whole place needs a bit of attention. On one occassion when we stayed there, the hallway outside our room wasn't cleaned the whole week we were there and was filthy. We also had a bug in one of the drawers in our room.

Breakfast was pretty expensive so we used to eat in a nearby restaurant ...(can't remember what it was but it did a great buffet for a few dollars).

We wouldn't stay there again but for young families it's fine.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Safari

I havent stayed there but been in one next to it. and we would sometimes use its pool and walk through it. Not impressed ( particularly as it was somewhat more expensive then the ones we had had.

You would be far better looking at the Fairfield Inn Marriott Village . Or the Country Inns & suites Calypso Cay .( Not LBV, while very nice ,poor pool.) both of these have zero entry ,child friendly pools . 2 at the marriott village.

And cheaper.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Safari

thank you for your insights. That is always a help. Zife I think this property is managed by Aimbridge Hospitality.

Thanks again.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Safari

I'm not really familiar with Aimbridge Hospitality since they're just an Asset Management company. I looked up their website, and it seems they manage properties from several brands, including Hilton, Wyndham and Starwood.

In this case, Starwood is the parent company of Sheraton, meaning they're ultimately responsible for the property, and Aimbridge is managing it on their behalf.

Conwy, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Safari

We have stayed there in the past and it was fine. We only used it as a base, and for our needs it was more than sufficient. Son enjoyed the pool as it was themed and had a big slide. We now go the Villa route, as for the money we find we can do everything independently and get a lot more vale for our £'s...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Safari

I did not like it. We stayed there about five years ago. Even then it needed updating and everything from the decor to the carpet needed to go. Only the beds were ok.

The pool area is only ok. Sure, there's this python slide, but in Orlando, there are tons of other better pools. Food is mediocre at best in their restaurant.

Again, I wasn't impressed, but if it has fallen further downhill in the last five years, then I definitely would not go. And I'd already decided we'd never go back. Then it was for a short 4 day trip with my little boy.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 15:25
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Safari

sadly i've just booked this hote just for a couple of nightsl..... got a good rate (SPG) BUT on receiveing the confirmation I've noticed thay now charge $6 per day for self parking your car! DO not like that......should have been told before I booked!

We've stayed here 3 or 4 times in the past...

Really sad to hear the hotel has gone downhill....

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Safari

UnsureNow, if you booked through SPG.com, did you do one of the fully prepaid rates? Because most of their rates are fully cancellable, no penalty, up until 4:00pm the day of check-in.

If it's fully prepaid, I'd just go with it. Yeah, the $6 parking fee is a pain, but most larger hotels have some kind of parking fee now (a few hotels I've been to in Toronto are up to about $20/night). Otherwise, I don't think you'll have any issues, if you're an SPG member, you've probably dealt with them enough to know the good reputation they have. Hopefully it stands up in this hotel, and the negative reviews are anomalies.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Safari

Thank you Zife- but all sorted now.....