We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando Just for Itself

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
466 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando Just for Itself

We (me and husband) arrive at Orlando Sanford on 28th May mid afternoon for 2 weeks in Florida. Week 1 will be exploring (as yet undecided) and week 2 will be a beach week at Siesta Key. There will be no mouse activities. :-)

We were thinking of spending a night or two in Orlando itself as I read that it is a nice city, lots to see and do, and good nightlife.

Does anybody have any hints on where to start researching, suggetions of things to do, and location to stay where we could walk to bars restaurants.

We don't plan on getting a car until we leave Orlando, would that be a problem, how much can you see locally on foot/public transport?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
325 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

Nice question. If you want to see downtown Orlando itself I'd recommend staying at the Embassy Suites. You can walk everywhere you need to go and there are tons of good bars and restaurants.

The Wall Street bar complex is a short distance away and it is a favorite of mine. Here is a good link: http://www.wallstplaza.net/

The Orlando Magic (NBA Team) have a beautiful new arena and you can walk or take a cab (or pedicab) from the hotel. If they are playing while you are here I recommend seeing a game.

I also like Chillers/Latitudes and Mako's which are very close to the hotel as well. There are many good restaurants in the area. I like Amura for Sushi and the Funky Monkey Wine Company for its food and ambience. Ceviche is great for Spanish tapas.

There is much to see and do in Downtown Orlando and it is often overlooked. The Orlando Science Center is always interesting as well.

Welcome to sunny Central Florida!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
466 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

Thank-you for the suggestions, the Embassy Suites aren't available for the Saturday night, but is also looks like it might be hitting a bit above what I was hoping to spend. Ideally looking to hit around $100 a night, but if this isn't possible without going somewhere really downscale then I'd re-do the numbers. There is availability at the courtyard at lake lucerne, but not sure about location or rooms as it gets mixed reviews. They have a standarwd wellbourne suite or Norment Parry Inn both for $99 per night - any thoughts?

I'll look into the other suggestions for things to do, my husband would love to go see a game.

So is it feasible to get from Orlando Sanford without a car and pick it up when we leave Orlando, or would it not be worth the effort?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
466 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

Also, it looks like there is a game the Saturday (28th May) we arrive (nba eastern conference finals) but the NBA site doesn't seem to list it yet and private sites are looking for $200 - $'000s per ticket. Will it apear on the NBA site and would $200 be a standard price? Sorry I know nothing about NBA.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

Orlando Sanford is a good 20 miles north of downtown. You may want to have a car for your entire stay for convenience,and the taxi rides from Sanford will not be all that cheap.

The International Drive area will also offer a large variety of restaurants and bars if you stay near the convention center. If you stay downtown, stay away from the areas west of the arena. I would also look at the state parks like Wekiwa and Blue Springs to visit.

Around Memorial Day weekend, it may be hard to find a nice area for under $100 - especially downtown.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 17:34
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
466 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

Thanks - excuse my ignorance but where is the arena?

We will have a car for the rest of our stay, we thought it might be easier to not have a car for the first couple of days but it sounds like this isn't the case.

Looks like I might have to reign in our budget elsewhere to get somewhere decent downtown.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
325 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

The Amway Arena is at 400 W. Church Street in Orlando. I think the cab ride ($55) will likely be cheaper than the car rental but you might want to price the rental. The taxes add up quickly for rentals here.

Check the Sheraton Orlando Downtown and the Crowne Plaza Downtown for rates just a bit above $100.

The Courtyard at Lake Lucerne would work.

Check stubhub.com for tickets. There is a fan guarantee that will ensure your money is refunded if the Magic don't make it to the Eastern Conf Finals.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

I can never really see how anyone can get the best out of Orlando without a car.

Pick one up at the airport...we use usrentacar and choose Budget...and have total freedom to do what you want.

Unlike in the UK and Ireland, parking is never a problem.

Winter Park in Orlando is really beautiful....about 15 minutes drive from the parks but light years away

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
325 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

You can always take the Lynx to get to Winter Park. Parking in Orlando isn't cheap and can be a hassle especially during Holiday Weekends. Memorial Day Weekend will be busy, especially if the Magic are still in the playoffs.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
466 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

Hi Again,

I've seen the following rooms available at about the same price (£150 for 2 nights inc taxes and fees), which would you recommend on the basis that we want to walk to as much as possible and also the nicest:

Courtyard at Lake Lucerne (£155)

The Eo Inn and Spa (£155)

Courtyard by Marriot Orlando Downtown (£136)

Sonesta Hotel Orlando (£148)

I've ruled out the Sheraton Orlando Downtown (£176) and Crowne Plaza Orlando - Downtown (£185) as they are the most expensive (excluding Grand Bohemian which is way out of my price range) but it is only another £20-£30 so it would be good to understand if the location/property is worth it.

I've also ruled out the Orlando Centroplex Travelodge (£64) as it doesn't look great, and I understand that travelodge in the US is different from ours (which are very standardised, clean and cheap). However if the other hotels mentioned aren't that much better please let me know as they are twice the price.

I've read the reviews, but looking for some expert opinions, especially on the location and proximity to both day time activities and evening entertainment, on the basis that we want to walk (safely) to places.

Thanks

Susan

10. Re: Orlando Just for Itself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 16:16