We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

Kent UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

We are coming to Florida on 9th June 06 and staying in Orlando for 10 nights, then driving down to Marco Island for a further 5 nights. We have three children 11,8 and 2, so we want to plan our trip quite carefully. Does anyone have an approximate journey time for the drive from Orlando to Marco Island and what would be the best time to travel ie: early morning or late in evening etc.?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

I'd say 4-5 hours depending on where on marco you're going. Avoid rush hours around Tampa St pete and go late AM or early PM so you're clear of the area by 3 PM.

If you do the moring thing and leave around 10 AM or so, divert to I275 and cross the SkyWay Bridge. At both the north and south ends there are long piers for fishing and sightseeing. You can bring a picnic lunch and eat here and the restrooms. I275 reconnects with I75 south and and the diversion may add about 20 minutes overall. The views from the piers and the bridge are fabulous. Just a suggestion.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

Recommend leaving after morning rush hour,9am or so and taking I-4 West which takes you directly to I-75 South (Naples) and from there it is a straight drive to Marco. By taking I-275 you go through cities and run into toll roads neither of which is appealing to me. However I am more interested in getting to my destination then sightseeing,by following my directions it is 3 1/2 hours from Orlando to Naples add an additional 30 minutes to get to Marco.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

Thanks for your advice I've printed them out to take lol.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

Hi S-M - What tolls? The only one I hit is the really cheap one on the Skyway Bridge, which takes about 15 seconds. Then again, I live in the NYC area and I'm used to LONG waits at tolls and much higher bridge tolls!

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

LIke S-M said if you hit the skyway bridge on your way from orlando to Naples you made a wrong turn somewhere. toll is a dollar but extra gas and time are priceless.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another question... How long a drive is it from Orlando to...

Tour, no the toll was the buck you throw at the attendant but thought I should mention it so they didn't panic at the thought of not having the fare. S-M