We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Safe

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
How Safe

Hello, I am taking my family next year to Florida and staying near International Drive on Westwood Boulevard and wondered how safe it is to walk about there. With having young children we arent likely to be out after 8pm, so not likely to be very dark, but not sure looking at google earth just how easy it is to walk around the area.

The hotel has a shuttle to the parks and im aware of I-ride being another option for getting about in general.

Any tips would be good .

Thankyou

Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
17 Reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Admission to...
55 Reviews
from US$26.59*
US$29.29
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How Safe

I'm not 100% sure, especially since you didn't list the hotel but you may find the Lynx public bus system more convenient, especially for getting to the parks. Some of the hotel shuttles run extremely limited schedules, Take a look at this from the Top Questions section:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34515-c116996/Orland…

We've never stayed in the area but it's always seemed safe when we drove through.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Safe

It's a fine area in my opinion, but not much reason for walking right there. The main and popular walkable part of I-Drive is on the other side of the Convention Center just north of there. If you wanted to walk it or to SeaWorld my biggest safety concern would be sticking to sidewalks and watching for traffic not that it is a bad area which it isn't even though crime or whatever can happen anywhere - use common sense

England
Level Contributor
803 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Safe

Hi

You are perfectly safe to walk down I-drive. I have walked down there on my own and had no worries at all. The only thing you need to watch is if you cross over the main cross roads by the Wyndham hotel over to Perkins diner, as the little green man tells you, you can cross, the traffic turning to your left also has the rights to turn so you need to make sure you don't get knocked over. Daft rule, but that is the ruling in the US, Please don't worry as it is a great place to stay. We are there in a fews weeks time for my sons wedding.

Have fun

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,141 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Safe

Westwood goes a fair way, so we have no whay of knowing exactly where your hotel is as you haven[t told us the name.

What I can say, is that that end of the idrive area is safer than further north.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Safe

Just be aware that the I-Ride Trolley only goes up and down I -Drive , it only goes to W&W, Sea World. and Aquiticia. For getting around in general you need to use the Lynx bus system which you can get w a weekly pass for.

This may well be quicker and cheaper to Disney , IOA,& Universal parks.

Not all hotel shuttle are free . And those that aren't cost between $8- $12 PP.

Look at "What bus service should I use when in Orlando" Top R/H panel of this page.

How safe ? Safer than most places. But its still possible to get shot by a 16 year old carrying an automatic hand gun and pocket full of bullets.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Safe

Geministar , you will be fine, i have never stayed in the area but reports of problems are rare.

Just be as aware as you would be at home

Lisburn, N.Ireland
Level Contributor
630 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Safe

I'll be fine, we stayed at the Residence Inn Seaworld on Westwood last May, and we had no issues walking around the area at night (or anytime) with are 3 young children. It is a nice area away from the main Idrive area, with I ride trolley & lynx services nearby. We will be booking in this area again for 2012. Let us know wer u are staying, we may have some useful tips for u

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How Safe

Safe as houses!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
60 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Safe

I was taken aback by the vastness of ID view on google too, i feel confident that it is a safe place though, orlando is a tourist center generating a masive income so it is in there intrest to make it a safe as possible. i'm more concerned with room security, is it safe to take my laptop?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Safe

Yes it is. But keep you room door locked. Weather you have a hotel with inside corridors or outside balcony access do not leave your door ajar , or propped open with the internal security latch while you just nip down the hall for a bucket of ice,. or into an adjoining room.

Keeping uninvited guests out is easier then getting them out when you let them in. Only open the door to hotel staff . Don't be caught caught out with Free pizza delivery and other scams. If in doubt ring the front desk.

At night if you dont use the entrance past the front desk but an entrance in other parts of the hotel which operate with your room key car . Don't let others others follow you in or open the door for anyone waiting outside assuming they too are paying guests . some are not.

Edited: 30 April 2011, 13:02