We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware!!! online currency

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
734 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
beware!!! online currency

Please beware if ordering currency online, I did with Thomas cook and although the t+c said no charges I have a charge of £15 on my statment I questioned this with bank and they said not them speak to TC they have called and said not them its the bank. So although I paid with debit card not credit card I've still lost out. Not happy will ring bank again tonight but don't hold much hope.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beware!!! online currency

The banks do charge if you use a debit card to order online currency. It`s something to factor in when looking at exchange rates.

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beware!!! online currency

Hi

My husband and I ordered from travelex with our debitcard to pick up at the airport got $1.62 ..we didnt get charged by the bank

Annie

Lincs
Level Contributor
336 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beware!!! online currency

Hi, Some banks treat buying currency on a debit card as a Cash Advance so charge accordingly, When I used to buy from M & S they always told me to check our bank for charges if we wanted to use a Debit Card - although we never used one

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
734 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beware!!! online currency

been on to bank not much satisfaction, apparently ALL VISA debit or credit card purchases of currently levy a charge by VISA not the bank or the currency provider so please take this into account when buy your money. My good exchange rate isnt now very good after this charge :-(

Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beware!!! online currency

I ordered my currency on line through the post office and paid with my Halifax debit card and was not charged. As others have said, it all depends on who you bank with.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
734 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beware!!! online currency

hi newball - its showed no charges on the order and it was just today when i viewed my statement online that i realised, hopefully you wont be charged but the Guy at Co-op bankd said any currency purchased with a card that displays the Visa sign is charged with all banks as its a VISA charge not a bank charge?

hereford
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: beware!!! online currency

We picked up currency at our local thomas cook after ordering online last saturday $820 for £504 and paid by visa debit card and wasn't charged any extra I know if you pay by credit card you will get charged as its classed as a cash advance

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,945 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beware!!! online currency

/not true

Have bought currency w/visa debit for collection and was not charged. Was picked up same day as order. Currency bought in advance may have diff criteria.\

I'd fight it and see if they want to lose you as a customer.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
734 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beware!!! online currency

Well bank agreed to credit me half - ie 7.50 - I was told if I wanted to close my account it was upto me and bearing in mind I have current acc savings and Isa I thought they wouldn't want to loose the business but was told "leave if u want it ur choice" I requested a manager who offered the £7.50 credit and if I could be bothered to change all direct debit etc then I would have.

Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beware!!! online currency

We got our US currency some months ago and have recently ordered some euros as we are off to Cyprus. Pleased to say that Halifax have not charged us anything on either of the transactions. Have to admit that we once made the mistake of paying by credit card and although we usually pay or bill straight away, buying currency is treated differently and you get charged interest from the minute you purchase your currency so we will not be making that mistake again. Its all a learning curb I guess!