We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

OM2
London
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Topic
Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

I travelled to the USA 6 years ago

Then, you HAD to leave your suitcases open and were NOT allowed to lock

Is this still the case?

Thanks

OM

Wigan
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

If you wish to padlock your suitcases you can buy specific TSA locks which Customs can also open with a skeleton key. You can get these in Asda etc for about £4 - £5

You can also just use cable ties and leave a couple in your case and customs may use them to resecure your case

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

Boots sell them too

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

You can lock it on the way into the USA but on your journey back home either leave it unlocked or use a special "TSA Approved" lock like these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tsa+lock&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=4755263461&ref=pd_sl_8ida7pothu_b

They're widely available. Look out for the little red diamond on them.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,987 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

You can lock your suitcase but the TSA can also break the lock-and they often do. We don't usually check luggage but when we do,we don't bother to lock the suitcases

DUBLIN
Level Contributor
414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

Seriously do you need to buy special locks

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

If you have TSA locks then they will relock your cases if they open them for inspection. If you use ordinary locks, they will just cut them open if they inspect them and leave your case unlocked.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,919 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

Leaving your cases unlocked may affect any claim you make with travel insurance should anything be taken. So if you do not lock your cases, I wouldmake sure to leave nothing that might get taken.

I had candy taken from my case back in the early TSA days. I had used a cable tie, but they didn't replace them after the cut it off and someone helped themselves to bags of candy.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,962 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

We don't lock ours, just use cable ties, we never put anything of value in the cases.

Have never bought TSA locks

Edited: 21 May 2011, 12:11
nottingham, england
Level Contributor
936 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

In our experience, it makes absolutely no difference!! And we do always use TSA locks. For the past 3 years, homeward bound, at least one of our cases has been opened...and the TSA lock never replaced. Last year, the Dept of Homeland Security left one of our cases in such a state, that i complained!! They had rifled through my toiletry bag and not replaced the lids on shampoo etc properly....OMG, the mess it left was incredible. And a pouch I had with hair bands, bobbles, grips etc..was removed and not put back !!

We shall continue to use TSA locks, but as I said, in our experience, it makes no difference to whether or how they open your cases...and dont expect them to relock your case after they have had a good rummage through!!!

DUBLIN
Level Contributor
414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need to keep our suitcases open?

What exactly is Tsa please and does this apply to ireland as well sorry about the stupid question