We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel check-in with a debit card

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel check-in with a debit card

Hi - hope someone can give me some info..

My mum and her friend are spending 3 days at the Quality Inn on International Drive before joining a cruise.

Neither have a credit card, but do have a Visa Debit card. Would they be able to check in using the debit card/or cash rather than a credit card - they are there for 3 nights.

(They have already established they can use their debit cards on the cruise)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,926 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

I have checked in with a visa debit card at another hotel in Orlando. Try emailing their customer services. Shouldn`t be a problem.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

Hello!

I just called the Quality Inn on International Drive, and you will be able to use your debit card to check in. The woman I spoke to mentioned that a debit card will be charged at the beginning of your stay while a credit card will be charged after your stay.

Hope this helps!

belfast
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

i think the hotel can put a hold on your money from the debit card/credit card,also if it helps ,some hotels allow you to check in with no cards...

josie

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

Because it's a Visa debit card, it will be no problem. However, as others have mentioned, they may put a hold on funds - over and above what the actual charge is. They will do the same on the cruise. Personally, I never use my debit card in those cases, but many people do. Some have reported that it sometimes takes a few days to remove the hold after checking out or after the cruise. That means their funds are tied up until they release the hold. They might want to check with both the hotel and cruiseline and ask what their policy is in that regard so there won't be any surprises.

texas
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

One more thing to remember, and most hotels have signs about it warning when you check in. If they want a deposit on top of payment, your debit card will have the money out and unavailable. Fot the room payment and deposit. Deposit will be put back in, but it can take several days. So we always pay with our debit card but put a regular CC for deposit. Maybe they would let you leave a cash deposit, as lots of them will not ask but a small amount of cash if that is the way you are doing it. That way you will have cash back to you on day you check out and available for cruise, instead of having to wait awhile for it to be put back on debit. Hope this makes sense.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

I stayed at quality inn a few years ago and we werent asked for cc or debit card as we told them we wouldnt be charging anything to our room. Also did this in the wyndam orlando resort

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

Personally, I would just pay in cash in advance, if they don't have a CC. Hotel "holds" can take some time to get put back onto the account. With a debit card, that subtracts from the money that someone is planning to spend.

8. Re: Hotel check-in with a debit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 05:22