We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa question

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clacton-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
visa question

OK here's my problem....I have applied to the court for my 'memoradum of convictions' to be abe to obtain a visa for our 2nd visit to orlando.

The original court I apperared in has now shut down, so I applied to the county HQ where the records are kept.

The court phoned me today and said that thier records only go back to 1996 and as my convictions (car theft 1977 and drink driving 1995) were before this date, they had no record there.

This is starting to be a lot of hassle.Do I risk it and travel on the visa waiver or try more to get my memorandum.(like contacting the police) ?

Do the U.S immagration know if anyone has been arrested in the past? I don't think so. Also, does anyone really get turned back once they land?

I have been to the U.S before in 2002 so why not now?

Yorkshire England
Level Contributor
311 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa question

I do not know if they will know about your convictions or not but i saw a documentry about a year ago and yes people were getting turned back they were separated from their family and held without seeing a lawyer and sent home on the next available flight

Ireland
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: visa question

Hiya. Go to the US Embassy's website which gives all the info you need on English citizens travelling to the U.S.

Specifically see this page - usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/…add_crime.htm

It says that if your memorandum of convictions is NOT available from the court you appeared in then you can apply to New Scotland Yard. Perhaps that's the way to go? Certainly it makes it clear that if you have a criminal conviction you are not eligible for the visa waiver programme.

I'm not in England, I'm in Ireland but I HAVE heard of quite a few Irish people being turned back and I'm sure it's not that different for English people... it's been in the media quite a lot lately. Things have toughened up so much since 9./11, I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

Best of luck. Hope it works out ok for you.

wales
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: visa question

Could you please let me know wether or not you had to get a visa. We are due to travel in march 2007 and my husband has convictions from before 1995, How did you get on, and did you get turned away

u.k
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa question

Would this information be on your passport now that they have to be machine read. My partner has a 14yr old drink driving conviction but we didnt realize he needed a visa because of this and he has been to the states 3 times and been let in with no trouble. I'm really panicking now as we leave in 10 weeks and i'm afraid this won't allow us enough time to obtain a visa.

highlands
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visa question

Hi there if you go to your local police station and ask for a subject access form it will list all previous convictions. this is the form you need to take to the embassy. It cost £10 and they send of for it so more waiting.....

6. Re: visa question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 01:16