We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
938 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

Anyone familiar with what was in the area years ago? Looking for the hotel we stayed at for our honeymoon - in 1978. We stayed at the Flying Dutchman hotel and now cannot find any information about it. I am sure it has changed names....or maybe been torn down and rebuilt as something else? We didn't take many pictures that long ago and so don't have much to go by. Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

It was the Dutch Inn-shaped like a windmill.the Howard Johnson became the Courtyard and is now the Holiday Inn DTD. The Hilton was always the Hilton. The Doubletree Guest Suites was some random brand of suite hotels. That's all when they called Downtown Disney the Disney Village and sometimes the Christmas Village. We have many old guidebooks(including the first Unofficial Guide which was about 50 pages long) and especially miss the Gourmet Grocery which had actual groceries

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

wow that realy took me back..good question great information now i know who to ask...

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

The shopping at DTD is one of the things I miss most about the good old days-they used to have a lot of different stores with varied and unique merchandise at "The Village" instead of nothing but Disney stuff. Not only do we miss the Gourmet Grocery,there was a great sportswear store. All gone.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

The Best Western was a Travelodge.

The Doubletree Guest Suites was a Pickett Suite Hotel.

The Wyndham started out as the Americana Dutch Inn. It later became Grosvenor Resort, and was a Best Western for awhile. It was also called Regal Sun Resort from 2007 until last November. This is probably where you stayed.

The Holiday Inn was originally a Howard Johnson. It operated as a Courtyard by Marriott from 1995 to late 2003. The hotel reopened last February after a major renovation.

The Buena Vista Palace operated as a Wyndham from 1998 to 2006.

The Royal Plaza and Hilton have always had the same names.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
938 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

Thanks for all the replies! I found an original brochure which listed the hotel as the Dutch Inn (Flying Dutchman was their restaurant). The address is listed as 1850 Preview Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista. Is the hotel gone now? You stated the Regal Sun Resort from 2007 til last November....

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

Well the hotel is not gone...it just changed its name and is now the Wyndham LBV. Name changes happen often with Orlando hotels which is why its never a good idea to say to someone "Meet me at the Hotel XYZ" because its probably called something else now

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
938 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

Thanks! I looked up the Wyndham and it does look like the brochure I have (at least the basic hotel shape). We might have to add this hotel to our itinerary for next month!

8. Re: Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney old hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 02:18