We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think is a good deal for a car??

New York
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do you think is a good deal for a car??

After using about 100 codes, I was able to get through Dollar a rental car this summer for 10 days for $418 inc all the fees etc. I think that's pretty good? I'll keep checking the next few weeks, but prices were over $600 on most sights. Quick question-we usually use Alamo, if I called Alamo and told them the deal I have with Dollar, do they ever price match??

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
477 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
131 reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

What dates are you going? That makes a huge difference. Also, what size car?

Definitely keep checking. I have a fullsize through National for Sept 29-Oct 10, 12 days, for just over $200. I got to that point over the course of several weeks, trying the same codes every day, and just keeping whichever was cheapest.

You can always try to get Alamo to price match. Rental costs are *very* flexible. If the person you're talking to refuses to do it, ask to be bumped up to a supervisor or manager. Stress that you prefer to deal with them, but you can't justify the extra cost. The worst they can say is 'no' and then you just stick with Dollar.

New York
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

sounds good-the car is a compact for July 26-Aug 6th-some of the compacts are actually close to $1000!! I'll keep checking and checking!

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

That sounds high. I have been checking different dates though, but I always seem to get a price around $200 for that many days. Try typing in different times for pickup and return. Sometimes just a half hour difference gives me a difference of $200 in price. They do not always make sence, one time I typed in adding a day and the price went down.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
22,034 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

With all the fees included,thats not a bad price-the taxes and fees are about 30% of the rental price in Orlando.some of the companies match prices-we like Hertz or Alamo but reserve a car with Dollar if its cheaper and then just go to the other companies counters and ask them to match the price. It depends of course on how many cars they have unrented but it never hurts to ask. We get what we want about 3 in 4 times

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

Haha, I just checked National's base rates for those days, and a Fullsize SUV is cheaper than a Compact ($817 vs $1225). Definitely not cheap!

Based off of this, I'd stick with what you've got, but definitely keep checking.

Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

Who do you book through and what codes do you use?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

Have you looked at Hotwire.com and Priceline.com? We usually find the best deal on the latter, but occasionally Hotwire, and rarely, the renters' websites themselves, can beat it.

The best tactic is to get the best cancelable rate on a renter's website, and then keep going back to Hotwire and Priceline to improve on it. Orlando has the largest inventory of rental cars in the world, and the companies want them out on the road at the highest rates possible. However, as the date draws nearer, the deals can get better, except maybe at peak holiday times. I've sometimes found a great deal the day before, and then cancelled my previous booking.

We usually manage to get a full-size car for $13-18 a day plus taxes and fees. Christmas and July 4 are usually more challenging seasons, and we have paid up to $30 a day. However, we keep trying, and for this upcoming June 30 through July 10 period, I was amazed to find a $8.95 a day rate for a full-size car pop up on Hotwire, after seeing repeated offers of as much as $54 a day for the same thing. Even though the fees were higher than normal, I jumped on it, and now have a full-size car for $248 total for ten days over a holiday. Within 15 minutes, that rate was gone.

Bidding on Priceline can be just as fruitful. Start with a bid that's about 40% lower than the going rate on Hotwire, and don't be in too big a hurry to greatly increase your bid, especially if you have an acceptable cancelable rate elsewhere. The worst that can happen if you bid too low is that you have to wait 24 hours to bid on the same deal again.

If it works like the airlines, each date is carefully monitored by the companies, comparing the bookings to typical levels. If the bookings start to fall behind the expected, they reduce the rates for awhile, sometimes drastically. When the bookings are above the predicted level, they increase the rates. Often, they arbitrarily add a premium in for holiday periods, at least initially. Anyway, good luck.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 16:33
New York
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

Wow! thanks for all the great info-I thougt I knew alot, but you guys have great advice!

thanks-

9. Re: Do you think is a good deal for a car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 13:17