We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Burnley
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Hey everyone.

Has anyone got any news on the Virgin strikes? I thought that today was the day they give the result but i cant find anything anywhere.

hope they sort this out asap.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
471 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from US$168.99*
MK, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transpo…

Looks like Richard Branson is appealing to their better nature and telling the pilots and the union to sort it out with Virgin Management. Sadly no dates etc yet :(

If this does affect our holiday this year, I shall never book VA again - once bitten etc etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Same here debsmk - if these strikes materialise we will not be booking with them again. Have flown with them several times in the last few years, and chosen them over BA due to their strike antics - thought we were safe to book Virgin Atlantic.

In common with a huge percentage of the population of this country, my husband and I haven't had a payrise for several years, and indeed have just had our pay/hours cut by 10% - a 4% payRISE would have me jumping for joy!

We have saved hard for our upcoming holiday towards the end of July, and having worked hideous hours, we have been looking forward to our very well earned break for months. Praying they don't mess up our plans now.

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

A few days since this all started and was optimistic at first that there would be no strike action, thought there is no way this will happen, but now hearing that it sounds as though Branson has dug his heals in and written to the pilots appealing with them to reconsider for the sake of themselves and the company I think he may have rocked the boat and that strikes will be announced. Isn't tomorrow the cut off date for them to announce strikes? or have I got that wrong? Like many I am feeling really deflated, due to travel 19/7 and as everything seems to be happening on a "Tuesday" I think 19/7 (being a Tuesday could be a strike date), although I am feeling sorry for everyone who is due to travel in the next few weeks with Virgin. I hope the pilots think about reading these posts from disappointed customers and may be they may have some empathy. I work for the NHS and my hours have been cut and many job cuts. Whilst my hours have been cut I am still expected to put the same amount of work in to less hours and there is no chance in getting a rise, we are just grateful to keep our jobs and so the pilots should think themselves lucky that they are getting a rise at all!

England, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Wish they would just let us all know if they are striking and when? I though today they were announcing the strike, I've heard nothing yet, hopefully talks are continuing and it is being resolved. We can only hope!

birmingham
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

i still have not heard nothing im travel the 19 of july man im hoping the get it sorted we can only hope i feel they will get it sorted

LONDON
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Its is now the 29th June 2011 and still no news of strike dates, it's the not knowing which I find hard....there is 10 of us flying out on the 3rd August 2011, I would like to know which pilots do go on strike so I can get them to explain to our kids why they are not going to see Mickey Mouse!!!! .

I would like to say to any pilots thinking of striking you have excellent wages, there are families struggling to pay for food, bills etc or takes them well over a year to save for a well earned holiday, I think a 4% increase is FAIR! and you should except it.

Branson I have always flown with Virgin as it is the only airline I trust.....so please sort this out!!!

Burnley
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

I hope they get it sorted out. I just wish they would let us know whats going on and sitting around waiting is effecting the planning. We dont even know if we are going to be able to get there

Wigan
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

I agree, the not knowing is the worst part!

I'm hoping that as they are taking so long to announce the strike dates that this means they are coming to some sort of agreement with Richard Branson.

Hopefully they can sort this! Keep updated if you find out anything!

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

The Balpa Web Site shows nothing after its post on the 23rd of june i am due to fly out on the 22nd July after picking Virgin over BA due to strikes. I cannot believe the pilots, both my wife and I work in the public sector (NHS and Civil service) it has taken a long time to save to take our children to Disney we have tickets booked for my youngest to swim with Dolphins on her birthday. She has been waiting for over a year for this. If they strike i will NEVER book Virgin again. I probably won't anyway after the heart ache this has given our family.

These Pilot's will cut their own throats if they strike because Virgin will go under. They made a loss last year.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

I actually have a couple of hours Cessna experience. I have to say that, once you get the hang of it, it's not that difficult. If you turn the steering wheel thing left, the plane goes left. Landing can be a bit more tricky, but if you can do it on grass, you should be OK on a proper runway.

Once you factor in flight planning, this does add to the workload a bit, but fortunately you are generally going in a pre-defined direction. As long as you make sure there is plenty of petrol in the aircraft, you can't go far wrong. If you do get lost, the air traffickers will put you right.

Where do I apply?