We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Burnley
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Hey everyone.

Has anyone got any news on the Virgin strikes? I thought that today was the day they give the result but i cant find anything anywhere.

hope they sort this out asap.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
476 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
130 reviews
from US$118.99*
London
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

We are supposed to be flying 19 July - just praying we hear good news today. Phoned Virgin customer relations today and even they don't know anything at all - the lady I spoke to said an announcement was rumoured yesterday and now there is a rumour it will be today. Spoken to my insurers today as well and they are not sure I will be covered for the accommodation/excursions I have paid for - it depends on whether you actually check in or not?? - very confusing. The lady from Virgin customer relations did say that they negotiated with insurance companies when people were in a similar position with volcanic ash and that basically they do not want to see anyone out of pocket and will do all they can to help if the worst happens and we cannot go!

Was so looking forward to this holiday and now the uncertainty of all of this is really destressing for all concerned. I am looking at the worst scenario and just hope proved wrong today and all will be well for us and everyone booked with Virgin this summer. I also think the pilots are selfish wotsits!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Without knowing the full ins and outs of the pilots dispute it is hard to say if they are selfish or not.

Certain areas of the press like whip up resentment against any employees taking action so it is very hard to get the full facts. I know that from persoanl experience. If we believe all we read then yes, it does appear that they are being greedy in the current climate.

However, disputes like this are rarely about just one thing. To get 97% of your members to say yes to strike action is almost unprecedented, so I'd suggest maybe there is more to it than pay.

In saying that my heart goes out to anyone impacted by strike action. We were once stranded 14 hours in Palma airport due to French air traffic control, horrible it was even though we had a bottle of tequilla.......

Dumfries
Level Contributor
87 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

I trave at 1100 on Friday 8th July.So if they announce a strike today at 4pm am I safe - is it seven days clear notice?

UK ( Lowestoft )
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

We fly 6 weeks today and have been saving 19 months for this holiday. We were all getting excited but now I just feel sick! Please let them work it out, or for Virgin to Charter in to cover Orlando flights. My kids are all late teens so although unhappy will understand should the worse happen , but the Orlando flights are always full of young kids.... Try explaining to then they are not going to Disney anymore, heartbreaking tears

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

greedy money grabbing .........!

4% pay rise, I wish and that's just this year, 3% next and another 3% the following. So 10% over the next 3 years ! Branson should just sack the lot of them and get some of the many pilots that are on the dole.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

I haven't had a pay rise in 3 years!!!

No point me going on strike though as I'm the only one in the office!!!

birmingham
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

BALPA has withdrawn to consider its position. Talks will resume on Monday morning.

LONDON
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
48. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

sounds promising.....VA must have put something on the table for Balpa to re-consider! Fingers Crossed

birmingham
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

Ya finger cross flying the 19 so I'm hoping this go ok

swindon
2 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: Any News on the Virgin strikes?

they have withdrawn to consider there position talks resume on monday .if you type in balpa thats there union an th ifo is on that like you im due to fly out to florida fingers cross a