We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay if we can't get home.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
704 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay if we can't get home.

It looks like we will now be ok getting to Orlando with Virgin earliest they can strike from today is the 30th June, we fly on the 29th June. But our problems are not over, we could be hit on the way home, we come home on the 15th July. The law stipulates that any strike must begin within four weeks of the ballot result, that is, by 19 July. So if a deal is not made we could be hit.

We got stranded in the ash cloud (Bangkok) and spend ages trying to find good hotel to stay while we waited for a flight. So some early research, could anyone recommend any hotels (cheap) for a family of 4 toward the airport side. Better safe than sorry. We are staying in a Villa and have to depart on the 15th.

Houston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

Why not ask your villa company if they have anyone arriving just after you, that way if the worst comes to the worst you may be able to stay there.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
704 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

Thanks but tried that already, its a private rental and they have people arriving. It probably better for us to stay nearer the airport also. Thanks.

Houston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

We were in Florida on 9/11 (very, very different circumstances I know), we stayed in a villa but decided to go to the airport on our departure day even though we knew we wouldn't be flying anywhere. Glad we did, the airline (Airtours), put everyone together in a couple of hotels until flights started up again, it was a good way of being kept informed of what was going on.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

I imagine virgin will put you up. But you could book something yourself via hotwire if need be.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
704 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

Just based on the ash cloud experience, we were not put up anywhere and had to find our own hotel as we were independent travellers. Not sure what Virgins obligations are to us if its a strike so they may put us up, never thought of that. I know that they have to find us an alternative way home but it could take a few day?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

Virgin will put you up -but I presume you have travel insurance.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

Doesn't matter if you were independant travellers. A UK airline was bound to help you- us ones weren't

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

we had a 26 hour delay in Vegas with Virgin because the plane was broken and they put us all up in the Hilton. We had 3 meals provided at their buffet so can't complain + had another day in Vegas, yipee !!!

Only problem was I had spent all the dosh and had no gambeling money :(

CC had to take a beating.

I'm sure they will sort you out but probably have to go to the airport.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

It was on tv last week the travel companies have to assume responsibility whether it be ash cloud, plane malfunction whatever so if they strike they are obligated to pick up the expenses AMA long as you have travel insurance

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay if we can't get home.

How about checking what hotels are available on booking.com or similar - go for one that you can cancel even on the day. I did this last year when my hubby got stranded in Amsterdam with the snow - he was stuck on a train, I checked and no flights seemed to be leaving, so booked an airport hotel so we knew he had a bed for the night - by time he got to airport he couldn't even get in it was so busy, took him another 2 hrs waiting and in taxi to go 1 mile to hotel! He got the overnight ferry home the next night - arrived just before the 1st flight back! The hotel actually called me to check he was on his way - think they were ready to rebook the room!

Lou73