We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami or Ft lauderdale???

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Miami or Ft lauderdale???

Hi, i'll be travelling with an 18,14,12 and 3 year old and want to do a side trip for a couple of nights, from orlando. Has anyone any experience of the above destinations and think one is better over the other for a family?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

I love Fort Lauderdale, we have made it a tradition to spend a few days there on our holiday. The beach is beautiful, and very quiet, and if you like shopping Sawgrass Mills is a must. If you go, make sure you take a ride on the water taxi along the intracostal waterway, its lovely, and the houses are amazing!

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

Hi Tinkerbell, could i please ask you for more details-Sawgrass and the beach have me and DD drooling,lol.Thing is i'm not sure where to start,lol! Where do you base yourself when you stay there? Thanks!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

With the kids, I'd lean towards Ft. Lauderdale. Miami strikes me as more of a town for adults. Although Miami Beach would make for a nice day-trip just to let the kids see the place. I now really appreciate all the places my parents dragged me to when I was a kid.

We've done the Ft Lauderdale water taxi and it was awsome. We stayed at the Hilton right by the port, which was very nice too and right next to a pickup point for the water taxi. It made for a very low-stress visit that wasn't all that expensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

We have stayed at the Hilton Beach Resort, on the seafront, pricey but a lovely hotel. Last year we stayed at the Gallery One next to the Galleria Mall, facing onto the Intracoastal, which was lovely, and a 5 minute drive to the beach. Sawgrass Mills is about a 20 minute drive (traffic permitting) down Sunrise Boulevard, and is the largest outlet mall I have ever seen, plenty of bargains to be had! It's not cheap to stay in Fort Lauderdale, the good hotels are quite pricey. The Gallery One is a Doubletree hotel, and is a good mid price hotel, and they give you free cookies :)

Edited: 28 June 2011, 21:15
LONDON
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

Thank you both for your replies. I was looking at the hilton beach resort last week and like the fact it all suites. How long would a day trip to Miami from FLL be? I 've decided on FLL , but just incase the 18 year old would like to see miami and also i do like the look of the childrens museum, i'd like to see if it's doable in our schedule.Thanks for your help guys!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

Yes, go to Miami, the city of the NBA champions. Wait a second, that is Dallas.

Second thought, I would go to Lauderdale.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

Hilton Beach Resort is a fab hotel, the rooms are beautifully decorated, only downside, is their parking charges, I think it was $25 per day when we stayed there, but most hotels in Fort Lauderdale charge for parking. Miami is about an hours drive, maybe less if traffic isn't too bad, so you can definitely make a day trip there if you can fit it in your schedule. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

Ft.lauderdale gets my vote ! Great beach

9. Re: Miami or Ft lauderdale???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 19:16