We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

Cheshire
6 posts
Save Topic
Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

Hi,

We are looking at booking florida for next year with the first inevitable week in Orlando which is a given but were wondering where would be best for the 2nd week? We are a family of 4 and next year the kids will be 11 and 8. We're looking for somewhere on the Gulf coast, lovely beaches, interesting things to see, good restaurants, but most of all quiet so that we can relax after being all Mickey'd out. Money isn't too much of an object but wouldn't want to have to get a second mortgage to buy an icecream if you know what I mean.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks, Niclanfamily.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

I woud suggest the beach islands off sarasota. Anna Maria and Siesta key in particular. Lots of good places to eat (on AMI there are a number right on the beach) lots of nature to see, activites to do, shopping, museums etc in Sarasota.

If shelling is your thing, and you don't mind the longer drive, Sanibel Island might be good too.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

Agree with Sanibel Island. We went there a few months ago and it was wonderful- beaches, a wildlife refuge- Ding Darling that has a children's touch tank and exhibits with puzzles etc. There are 2 parts to it- one is the wildlife refuge with lots of beautiful birds and the other side which I did not go has kayaking., etc. The following website is a tour ride we took of the refuge and enjoyed.

http://www.tarponbayexplorers.com

This next one is of the wildlife refuge itself:

http://www.dingdarlingsociety.org/

This next site is for bike rentals. It is a great way to get around the town. We actually also went on a Segway tour that was a lot of fun from this rental shop.

There are beautiful beaches with lots and lots and lots of shells- It was fun.

There are excellent restaurants too. I guess the best thing that I can say about it was that to us it did feel peaceful.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

Sorry, I did not include the bike rental place:

info@billyrentals.com

torquay
Level Contributor
242 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

I suggest you spend both weeks in Orlando particularly if it is your first visit , one week in Orlando is not enough and your second week on the coast will be a bit of a anti climax, cheers ..Rich

stirling, scotland
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

A few years ago we spent the first week in the Orlando area then the second week in Sarasota chilling. It was fantastic! Loved the beaches at Siesta Key and Longboat Key etc. We actually decided to renew our marriage vows on the beach while we were there and it was so special. Our daughter loved the beaches with their soft white sands and warm water. We had a great time!!

6. Re: Orlando week one but where to go for relaxing 2nd week ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:19