We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top top tips wanted

London, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Top top tips wanted

What would be your #1 absolute TOP tip for visiting Orlando in July (or any time really)? There must be loads of great ideas that you stumbled across and thought "I'm really glad we.......??"

It would be great to see these in one long post. Trips, eating, parking, money saving, anything really.

We are going to be visiting in a couple of weeks and I will post mine on my return.

Steve

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top top tips wanted

Drink loads of water, it will be bloody hot out there in July!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top top tips wanted

Don't waste money on expensive binoculars. Simply stand nearer to the object you wish to view.

Also, buy a cheap poncho over here, or at Walmart (rather than the parks). Park ponchos are expensive. Chances are you'll hit a big shower. Advise your credit card company you are going. They can sometimes block use due to suspicious overseas behaviour.

Edited: 03 July 2011, 09:36
Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top top tips wanted

Arrive at the parks for opening time you will get so much done before it get busy and to hot.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top top tips wanted

Freeze bottled water overnight then it will stay cold all day as it melts. Wrap the bottle in a plastic bag if poss as it will be pretty wet as the day goes on.

Make sure you take note of what parking lot/row number you are in when at one of the big parks!

Take water shoes for the really wet rides. Doesn't matter if your cothes get wet as they will dry out but if trainers get soaked, that is another matter.

Put on insect repellent if prone to getting bitten.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top top tips wanted

Sunscreen!! Do not underestimate the Florida sun.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Top top tips wanted

-Arrive at the parks before opening (If you're staying off-site allow an extra 30 minutes for the Magic Kingdom-you'll need to take a ferry or monorail from the parking lot to the park gates.) and hit the popular attractions. If at all possible try to take a break in the heat of the day and then return in the evening after things cool off a bit :-)

-Make sure you take full advantage of FastPass in the Disney parks. It's free and could save you hours of waiting in line.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k286253…

-If you're planning on eating counter service in the parks try to have lunch either early (some venues open as early as 10:30 AM) or late to avoid the rush.

-Take advantage of the shows and "lesser" attractions mid-day when it's hot and crowded. Here are a few of our favorites:

Magic Kingdom-Mickey's Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree

Epcot-Innoventions, The Seas, movies at the China, American Adventure, France and Canada pavilions

Hollywood Studios-Voyage of the Little Mermaid (lines can get fairly long here), Animation Tour

Animal Kingdom-Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, It's Tough to Be a Bug, exploring Conservation Station

-Have a GREAT trip!

Edited: 03 July 2011, 17:14
pa
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Top top tips wanted

Wear Comfy Trainers, you will be walking over 10 miles a day

Pace Yourselves, you Cannot see and do everything

Take an Afternoon Break and return to the Parks later in the Evening, if will be a tad cooler, hopefully

Have a Swell Holiday

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top top tips wanted

Free ice water in the parks! Saved us a bundle with 9 people.

Definitely get to the park early, it's so worth it!

dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top top tips wanted

My two favourites i got here on TA are

ziploc bags.. for phone small cameras etc on water rides

colour catcher....so you can have less laundry to do

manchester
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top top tips wanted

I always buy a bottle of water at the airport, then i refill it everyday at the parks, (there are water fountains everywhere) it saves a fortune and loads of time getting drinks.

Also we went to the fort wilderness resort and did horse riding and my OH did segway, they do loads of different activities they do cost a bit, but it was such a nice change.

Take advantage of the jet lag! the first few days you will wake up super early, just get a head start on the parks the first few days, then when your body clock gets used to it do some more relaxed activites.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy it! its easy to start thinking you need to see and do everything to get the most out of your trip, but there is no way you can and it will only end up with tantrums and exhustion (trust me i no!) the whole point of disney is the atmosphere and surroundings take time to take it all in!