We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chocolate argument.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Chocolate argument.

I am sorry, I do not intend to offend any american people, but english chocolate is so different to american chocolate and I prefer the english.

So we are going to florida in August and I am diabetic and was going to take some of my fave sweets & chocolate, but hubby says you can't take it through customs. I am sure I have read that you can take it as long as you put it on your form.

Who is right (I hope it's me lol) :-)

Have a nice day everyone......

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chocolate argument.

hello,

not to seem dumb or anything but if you are a diabetic why are you eating sweets?eating candy and such can harm you if you are a diabetic, so its not if english candy is better the us candy no candy is good for you!

please do not be upset with what i said it's just that my husband is a diabetic and i would never let him near anything that would harm him like candy.

please be safe and don't eat english or american candy...

i hope that your trip is a safe and happy one. best luck!!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chocolate argument.

I would guess she is eating the kind with diabetic-approved sweeteners, I have seen them. But why would they not let you bring them into the US? I have people bring us chocolate from Europe all the time. In fact my sister brought me candy from Scotland last year, and I brought a ton home from Italy. Can't you call customs?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chocolate argument.

you can bring candy, wine, cookies or cake, etc....only thing they don't let you bring is fruit and vegetables

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chocolate argument.

I've taken candy & snacks from the US to the UK with no problems. I think the only problem is with fresh/unprepared food moving between the countries.

BTW: I'm addicted to Aero bars.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chocolate argument.

As long as it's wrapped, you should be fine.

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chocolate argument.

I had no idea there was a difference. Is the chocolate sold in the UK pavillion at Epcot the "real" English chocolate? I'm anxious to try some now!

By the way, there are many different kinds of American chocolate. I'm pretty much a chocoholic, but there are some kinds I like far more than others.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,953 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chocolate argument.

Whilst I'm totally unqualified to say if or where sugar-free chocolate is sold in the USA, I'd have to guess it is almost certain to be available. However, I can say with certainty - you can bring it with you, as long as you declare it to US Customs.

@ ethelmae ... In just the same way that Herscheys and Ghirardellis are very different, then so are the various British brands. Our most popular such confection is "Cadburys". Without in any way denying it's popularity, at a technical level it is of dismally poor quality. Indeed, at one time, the European Union proposed to disallow the term "chocolate" to be used to describe it because it has too little cocoa in it. I'd guess it is this that is sold in Epcot - but I gather that the Cadburys sold in the USA is made in the US by Herscheys anyway. We do have many other, far better brands. But the Belgians, Swiss and Germans all do a much better job in general.

Edited: 08 July 2011, 07:41
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chocolate argument.

There is a difference and I believe it is something to do with the fat used, Uk use more milk fat, USA veg fat, and it possibly due to melting points?

I still manages to find certain USA choc which are yummy nestle Rasinets are a fav!

Not sure about the uk choc at epcot, I will personally taste test for you when I get there! Lol.

My gran was diabetic and her nurse told her not to waste money on diabetic products, stick to dark chocolate and just a taste when you fancied it!

All this choc talk is making me hungry!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chocolate argument.

Cadburys dairy milk can't be beaten IMO :)

Ethel it's the real McCoy at EPCOT but VERY expensive, if you're going to a ta meet with any Brits ask them to bring you some :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chocolate argument.

Putting asside the diabetes issue, I would absolutely agree that UK Chocolate is much nicer than US chocolate.

Even the branded stuff like Kits Kat, Twix, Nestle Crunch, etc don't taste as nice in the US as their UK counterparts do.

I suspect we have a much sweeter tooth than our american friend, therefore the US manufacturers don't include as much sugar.

I work with an American guy who takes Mars Bars, Kitkats and Galaxy's back to the US after each visit. His family can't get enough of them....