We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental-when to try Priceline??

New York
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental-when to try Priceline??

We never used priceline, I have a reservation with Dollar for 10 days for $413 for a compact. Looking at other prices, it's not awful, but it's higher than previous years (like everything else!). We're leaving on July 26th, and I thought I'd give Price line a try. I know I have to give myself a little time, because if they don't accept your bid, it's 24 hrs. before you can bid again-so obviously can't be doing this too close to leaving. My question is, how much longer should I give before I try Price line? Should I wait one more week to see if prices come down, and get a "last minute special" I would like to rent with Alamo, but they're over $600 for a compact. Prices haven't budged in awhile, should I bid this weekend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
468 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
183 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
126 reviews
from US$112.99*
US$118.99
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
12 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

I never used Price Line, however I wanted to let you know that if you have Geico as your car insurance, their is an offer of 25% off along with a $30 off coupon. I have a SUV (the cheapest, for the dates that we'll be going) reserved with Alamo. We are going in August and the total price for a Ford Escape (or similar) is $244.22. The url is: alamo.com/offer/geico. Make sure you click on the exact url to get the offer. Also, sometimes credit card companies have these offers too. I know I sometimes see them on my invoices that I get from them. Good luck.

pa
Level Contributor
54,254 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

Visa, Sam's Club, Costco, AARP, AAA and of course Disney Annual Passholder Discounts

We have used all of the above but never priceline :(

I am sure I have suggested this link before but here it is again, just incase there is new info

www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

i always book my car rentals with priceline name your own price..i have rented a midsize car for as little as $11 a day. i always place odd bids as they seem to take them when i place even bids they never take them i have no idea why.. but keep trying it will work..

New York
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

thanks so much! I tried the Geico one (we have their ins.), and it's still around $600 for our dates. I tired AAA, and every code or company I could think of-we have our reservation with Dollar using the BJ's code. Thanks for all your great suggestions-I'll keep trying, then I'll try Price line-I'll take your advice and try an odd number!!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

I check here for reported winning bids for my dates:

biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/159/Orlando

New York
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

thanks-I'll check out the site-sounds like it would be very helpful!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,721 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

We use Priceline pretty often for rental cars and for hotel rooms and have had great success. But we always make a car rental reservation with one of the companies we use (either Hertz or Alamo) so that we won't be stuck wtih no car...never happened though. Try Hotwire as well. We usually pay between $11-$16 a day for a rental car in Orlando and will keep on bidding until the day before we leave

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

I am coming to Tampa / Orlando for 3 weeks in August from Scotland. Have just booked a Intermediate [Toyota Corolla] from Alamo fully insured and with 3 extra drivers for £405 [approx $640]. It seems to be cheaper to hire this side of the Atlantic than when you get their.

New York
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

I'm keeping my reservation with dollar, until I make sure I secure something else-I think I'll start bidding this week (we leave 2 weeks from Tues). I was going to start with $13 a day? probably be too low, but I'll start from there-

10. Re: Car rental-when to try Priceline??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 01:15