We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Socks ..

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Socks ..

Do most of you wear them during the 9 hr flight ?

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Socks ..

Myself or my family dont wear them ... maybe I should as my feet really swell up.

Sidcup
Level Contributor
591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Socks ..

I do because I recently went into hospital with blood clots in my lungs. I came back a couple of weeks ago and I used them. I see a lot of people wearing them when I travel but it's for your health and can prevent a lot of problems!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Socks ..

Sunshine, do you mind if I ask what your symptons were with the bllod clots in your lungs ?

I asked this because I was ill last year and had problems with breathing for a while, although situation has since improved dramatically thankfully. But didn't get a full explanation of root causes ?

Any info you can share would be appreciated ...

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Socks ..

Yes, I do. Regardless of duration. Whether or not they are in fact beneficial, I can't think of a valid reason not to.

Sidcup
Level Contributor
591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Socks ..

Hi in the mix,

I had difficulty breathing even after the smallest walks, aching legs and I passed out eventually! I also had like a feeling of a stitch when I took a deep breath.

The main reason to wear flight socks - avoid this!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Socks ..

If, by flight socks you mean compression socks or stockings, yes, I wear them on all long haul flights. The main reason is the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) on such flights. A secondary reason is that they make my feet feel better. So...why not?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Socks ..

Thanks for sharing that, Sunshine.

Funnily enough, my symptons were very similar, bar the stitch feeling.

I still get tired far more quickly and sometimes even a short 50 metre walk feels like a real effort. Also got quite severe, sharp pains in my legs, especially around calf muscles. But the blood tests didn't reveal any clotting.

Sidcup
Level Contributor
591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Socks ..

How interesting! Well I think you should just keep an eye on it. My doctor at A&E originally told me it was asthma and paked me off with a pump before whispering to another nurse about wasting their time. Before you know it I was 2 hours to live and (very) luckily I pulled through.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Socks ..

When we flew to Barbados in March I wore flight stockings for the first time and my legs/feet felt so much better. I will definitely wear them again on my next flight in September.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight Socks ..

Wow, they have since told me that they think I have asthma ... can you believe this ? I have never smoked a day in my life and used to run/jog five nights a week for almost 15 years. The pumps don't seem to have any major effect, but I have had x-rays and a CT-Scan over 12 months ago - they showed that the lungs had become slightly hyperinflated, but that was all thankfully.

Oh well, I am pretty much ok now, but still get short of breath and rather tired from time to time, but I am not anywhere near the bad place I was back then.