We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental deposit

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
car rental deposit

Hi

I have hired a car via Budget for 2 weeks (23/8/11 -6/09/11 yep only 28days to go !!!!) can anyone tell me how much they hold against your credit card ?

Thanks

u.k
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental deposit

I've rented with Budget through usrentacar and I believe it says $250 but I don't know if thats per week. Its on their website under terms and conditions.Hope this helps.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,089 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental deposit

The only authorization on mine was for the fuel I pre-paid

Hull
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental deposit

Thanks Guys , still very confused on this as spoke to Budget direct and they have said as I have the platinum insurance packgae no other charges apply .

So do they just take the credit card details just in case or actually hold an amount against it ?? Total confusion on my part here !!!

Only asked as I don't do credit cards (I know thats aold fashioned but thats just my beleif ) so only have one card with a very small credit limit (£200/ $315 approx) and just wanted to check its enough .

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental deposit

Hi airliebirds - not really an exact answer for you however my husband and I cut up all of our credit cards after I was made redundant 6 years ago and have never taken one out since. We have rented cars from most people in Florida (with the exception of Budget ) , and they have all either accepted a cash deposit (approx $200) or have accepted our Visa Debit card. Both Avis and Hertz both take an authorisation of around $80 as a deposit just for fuel . It may well be worth checking with Budget if either of these options are better for you - we always use the refund of this money for our spendies at the Airport on the way home to cheer ourselves up :-) Hope this helps

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,089 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental deposit

Just for the fuel on ours with Budget, they actually took the money a week after we got back.

Just make sure you know what you are signing for at the desk, I always ask - "this is just for fuel right?" before I sign.

We don't use the toll pre-payment as we don't tend to use the toll roads much, again make your requirements clear at the desk and you will be fine

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental deposit

If you booked directly with Budget, the standard hold is the total amount of the rental plus 25% or $300. If you went through an agency or have a package...this may not apply to you. You should clarify with budget, so there are no surprises.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,089 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental deposit

Good post mrsad, we booked Budget with usrentacar not directly with Budget

8. Re: car rental deposit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 05:18