We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
5 posts
Save Topic
Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

How does this work. I know I have to go to a presentation the day before we check out. They are goign to give us a room for like 30some doallars a night...It is a nice place for sure..BUT..,.here are my questions...

Will or CAN they charge my ccard more than they promise? Is this legit, and are there people that have indeed decieded NOT to buy and left with no hassle, extra uncalled for charges etc...I also hear there is a resort GUIDE or person that brings you to your room etc that will hound you....

ALSO, if I CANCEL this stay before the 7 day pryor time, do they HAVE TO refund my card and what is the TIMEFRAME they have to do so??

I have heard some people that have not bought and had no prob but others have had horror stories!!!!!! any info appreciated! thank you.

malaga spain
Level Contributor
561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Hi

which resort are you going to?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

You must know that there ar no free lunches out there. Commercial interests never give you owt for nowt. So make a choice pay the rate , or suffer the ordeal of having to do the timeshare sales presantation. I would NOT do one if the rooms were free. My time in Florida is far more valuabale. My heart and sole are not for sale.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
379 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Timeshares are high pressure sales, no doubt about it. I have gone before, and will not ever do one again.

My 90 minute presentation became 4 1/2 hours! I had to play the game and visit the property, take a tour, listen to the sales pitch, go back to the office, sit and listen more, more and more. I had 3 children, and a baby needed a nap desperately. They kept saying ," Oh we are almost done." LIARS!!!

I was told I only had to go and watch a video. There was no video.

If you don't do exactly what they require, you must pay for your room, meals etc...

They want to wear you down so you will buy one.

I'm in real estate, and I know. Your time is too valuable.

It feels like an assault.

Good Luck!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Another problem with getting accommodations as your "gift" for touring the resorts, is that some resorts do a form of bait and switch. They will put you in a run down hotel near the main resort until you go to the presentation. Then they tell you they will move you to the main resort if you buy into the timeshare. Otherwise, you're stuck in the lousy hotel. You won't know until you get here that you're not in the main resort. It's really not worth the risk. In addition, most of the mini-vacations they offer are only two or three days long. If you end up spending most of a day dodging the sales pitch at the presentation, you won't have much time for seeing the sights, which is the whole reason for coming to Florida in the first place.

As far as charges and refunds on your credit card, I don't know how you signed up for the promotion, by mail, online, by phone . . .but they should have provided you with the "terms and conditions" of booking the trip. This would outline the cancellation policies and how the charge for the vacation is calculated. Most of the timeshares will bill as promised as long as you attend the entire presentation as you promised. Sometimes people think all they have to do is show up and then they can duck out and no one is the wiser. That's not the case. If you disappear in the middle of the presentation, you will be billed the full amount of the room for your stay, in most cases. This amount should also be listed in the terms and conditions of the offer. If the cancellation policy says you can cancel up to 7 days prior to arrival and receive your money back, they would have to honor that, but I'm not aware of any legal timeframe they would have to follow. It could be a day, or a couple weeks, before the refund would appear.

If you want to visit Orlando, you can find plenty of decent hotels at decent rates that won't put you through the stress of a timeshare.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

There is a post called Timeshare Advise. There may be some usefull info there. You have to be very careful about the terms of agreement. If you signed up on-line, there is probibly a terms of agreement page there. You need to read it.

In any case there is an escape option in case you buy and change you mind. You have 10 day to state you wish to cancel without any penalty. Moneys will be refunded.

The best thing is to sit through the presentation and at the end say you are not impressed an would prefer to see other places before you make up your mind. They might say its a once in a lifetime oppertunity. Just say you will chance it. Leave me your card and I will get back to you if I decide to buy.

I like to tell them it like shopping for a car. I don't buy the first model I see. I shop around. If you can't respect that and don't want to leave me your card, then I not sure I want to do business with you or your company. Usually shuts up the salesperson.

new york
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Hi!! Well, I CALLED to take part in the offer. It is actually the good price for all nights then I go to a TSpres. the DAY PRYOR TO DEPARTURE.....

It says attend a 90 min pres. and that we have to make so much money and both be of certain age...that is it. If we dont attend the pres we will be charged additional money per night etc..BUT My aggreement is to as they say a "90 min" pres..not a 4hr...So, I feel no more should be required or BINDING so to speak by me!.... you are right, if i am not inter, ill say so..That should be enough.,..Hopefully it goes well though..thank you for your advise....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

"My aggreement is to as they say a "90 min" pres..not a 4hr...So, I feel no more should be required or BINDING so to speak by me!...."

Well, if you can get out after 90 minutes, more power to you. But I wouldn't bet on it, and I certainly wouldn't plan anything that requires you being out strictly after 90 minutes. They won't care if you have to be somewhere; if you have the guts to cut them off and leave after 90 minutes, even if they're not finished, go ahead. That of course would assume that those people are trustworthy enought to honor that clause, most would be. The problem is the timeshare industry is not known for being trustworthy; their rep is the opposite.

Also, someone noted on another topic that some timeshare companies require that you attend the presentation with "an open mind", though apparently this is a new thing. If they mean this, this would, in theory, negate saying "no" from the beginning (though maybe it would make no difference). See if this clause is in your agreement.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Also, if you haven't already, check the user reviews on TA for the resort that you're staying at and/or doing the timeshare presentation at. Plug the resort name(s) in the box in the upper left hand corner of this page, and you should find user reviews for the resort. If they do a lot of timeshare presentations, you would find other people who did the presentations, and get a better idea of what to expect.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
379 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Mine was also to be 90 minutes as I stated, but in that time they took me to the model, which was a distance off the premises. This was very time consuming. They kept promising it was almost done. Just to keep you patient. I would like to hear if you were allowed to leave after 90 minutes, and retain the benefits.

Keep us posted. Good Luck.

NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help..Timeshare ordeal.. VERY reduced rate in exc for...

Wher were you people that had the bad TS experiences with longer than 90 min etc etc STAYING?? What TS resort? thank you.