We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball - what is the best to see?

London, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Baseball - what is the best to see?

We are wanting to see a baseball game when we visit Orlando in 2 weeks time. Have looked online a bit and have narrowed it down to Daytona Cubs or Tampa Blue Rays. How do we decide??

We have never seen a baseball game before. Daytona is cheaper and closer, but just wondering what the atmosphere is like at both places. We are thinking about possibly going to a Sunday Funday match or similar (not the ones starting at 7pm).

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

sorry, I meant Tampa Bay Rays!

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

Tampa Bay Rays, from my limited knowledge of baseball, they play in the same league as the new york yankees so are the equivalent of a top flight football team? (Here comes the onslaught of insults from our american counterparts...)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

well, tampa is major league/professional and daytona is minor league. tampa seems the easy decision - it's the real thing. minor league would have the advantage of small stadiums and cheaper prices, but you might as well do it right it is not that much further to St petes. if you want minor league though there is a team in Lakeland should be closer than Daytona web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp…

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

Wait for the Rays to play the Red Sox, then go to cheer for the Red Sox! (always good to root for the winning team). Go shopping first and buy Red Sox hats or shirts. This is the best advice I can give you :)

Daytona Cubs I have never heard of....googled it and they are minor league, that's why.

conn
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

minor league baseball games are much more laid back kid friendly kinds of things low prices on food and drink make for a cheap night out. major league games are all about seeing the best players playing the game. you will spend rather big bucks for major league tickets and food and drink at the ballpark.

Portland
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

This is a no-brainer......go see the Rays. The Daytona team is Class A which is mainly guys right out of high school and the games are of low quality. The atmosphere of a big league game is so much better than that of a minor league game of that level. I assume you would go on the 19th-21st which seems like the next home stand that is two weeks away? Pay 20-25 and sit in the upper deck behind home plate or in the outfield.

Good comparison....EPL game vs. the near lowest division of English football?

wrexham
Level Contributor
103 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

Definately go see the rays,we stayed for 12 nights in orlando last september the had 2 nights in st petes to go watch the rays v new york yankees.the atmosphere was fantastic even though the stadium was only 3/4 full.the whole experience was amazing and the local fans were fantastic in explaining the finer details of the game,there is loads of other entertainment going on in between innings and the stadium is really nice.after the game we went into downtown st petes and hit a local bar to finish the night off,definately go you wont regret it.

Ps. We got our tickets off ticketmaster and collected them from the will- call window and the stadium.

Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

Carmela, the Rays are playing the Red Sox in Boston around that time, so nice idea, but not happening. Looks like, without specific travel dates, it would be Seattle or Detroit coming to Tampa. Given the choice I would go see the Detroit games. It will probably be a better game. Seattle is not good this year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

Oh well, they can still get the Red Sox hats and jerseys and wear them there, in any case!

Show you support a winning team, peppermintcat! ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baseball - what is the best to see?

Thanks so much for your replies. I think we will go and see the Rays!

How long do the games normally last? and about how early should we arrive before the start - is there any sort of entertainment before the match? - you can tell I've never seen a match before!!