We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

Hi,

Please can anyone help with their own experiences...

I've checked my January booking and found there were changes...quite a few actually....so lookout anyone travelling to Orlando..check your details are the same as you booked..

Flight later by 3 hours approx....Plane now the old one not the new configuration.We'll be arriving in the dark which isn't ideal after a long flight...

We had wanted and booked a two seats not a three group and so we booked that in particular ( hubby needs space ) now we must have a three...not being anti social but it isn't what we booked for...also we won't have the new entertainment system..

What I am asking is...has anyone else had problems like this and if so did Virgin help at all..(.LOL )...I spoke to Virgin who say we cannot cancel ( thought of that as one possibility to book elsewhere )..They say we can change to the next day but will charge £50 each for the priviledge..I say why should we as they have changed everthing ..not us...

Please we could do with replies from anyone who has dealt with Virgin recently about changes and what happened..did it get resolved...

All we want is to look forward to a happy holiday and now this is twice Virgin have messed us about ( lost our seat bookings a while ago as well )..

Thanks so much in advance.. Nana

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

To be honest, VA and VH customer services have been pretty shoddy on the couple of occasions that I've had need to deal with them. Probably not what you want to hear, but I wouldn't expect to much of them!

That said, the changes aren't that bad. I understand your seating dilema and they might accommodate this if you explain why you need the extra space.

If you're concerned about driving from the airport in the dark, perhaps you could try and convince them to supply a SatNav (free of charge) to help you get to your hotel in the dark??

It's disappointing that you also wont get the new entertainment system too, however, I wouldn't let any of these changes spoil your holiday. Once you're exposed to that Florida sunshine I'm sure you'll forget all about this inconvenience.

Out of interest, what are the flight details for the changed flight?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

Frankly I have difficulty understanding why all these people who come on her get hung upon what the airline provides Seats and TV systems seem to be a common source of issue . This is a mass transportation system, it is not tailor made for individuals likes and dis likes. If you get a seat and can watch TV , have a nap and get a little refreshment I dont see a problem . Its only 9 hrs of your life. I dont see a problem sat next to someone else I dont know. they dont know me either. If you want to cherry pick all the bits and pieces Hire a private Jet there are plenty who will fly you to Orlando in comfort and style.

Just dont expect to pay Schedule and Charter airline prices.

One of the problems is that Many have "Champagne tastes, but only Beer money."

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

Its common for all airlines to do this in off peak season. Virgin have two flights a day from gatwick and in quieter times they often run just one as it is more economic to fly a full plane than two half empty ones. Because they have done this so far in advance they are allowed to do it and in any case a plane is not guaranteed on any flight..airlines can use any plane on any day.

At the end of the day..does it really make that much of a difference...its 9hrs of your holiday!

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

It's understandable to be frustrated with these alterations, as we all want our Vacations to go to plan. That being said, all Airlines reserve the right to change schedules as and when they see fit unfortunately. They are only contractually obliged to get us from A to B ( preferably in the time frame specified). As for your seats, a gentle reminder that you did not 'pre-book' anything. You made a seat request that is subject to change and unfortunatly in your case it did.

I have had Seat requests vanish for no particular reason before, only for them to reappear the next time i checked in "manage my booking". I've also had Seat requests disappear altogether, only to find better Seats further up the Aircraft at on-line check-in, so all i can recommend is that you keep checking on a regular basis.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

Well I never , its not just charters that change things!

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

Would you really cancel due to a 3hr change in time? Most VA planes are the old ones anyway

Edited: 06 August 2011, 20:24
Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

Thanks everyone for the replies...

XR759 may I say in reply to you that my point is if you book nearly a year in advance, check with the reservations staff that as much as possible of your needs can be met and then pay going on £1800 for a flight, it is not unreasonable that you get what you book, or at least be informed in a correct manner, not find out just by chance.

These days many seem to have been bludgeoned into the point of view we should be so grateful to these huge airlines that we blithely accept anything they give us and just say ' thank you for letting us fly on your plane '. Virgin like all airlines should put customer care as a priority, that goes for their planning and response to problems that arise. I am sure many will agree that with the cost of flights increasing at an almost obscene rate we all have to try to economise but that we are still entitled to good service and value for money which includes getting what we paid for without that being stretched to the limits of the rules and what can and often is changed or cancelled. Virgin like all airlines will have to give good service or many will travel by other carriers etc.

I do accept your point though..it is only a few hours but I asked for responses as to how others in a similar position had dealt with Customer services at Virgin . It doesn't matter whether people travel economy, premium, first or private etc we all ' pays our money and makes our choices ' ..all I wanted was feedback as to how others had fared..thanks anyway, Nana

u.k
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

I totally agree with you Nana,I didn't book with Virgin because I couldn't stretch to their prices so opted to fly with Monarch and saved myself nearly £1000 however had I paid the price that Virgin were asking I would be very angry that I wasn't getting what I paid for originally.

manchester
Level Contributor
389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

I havent had so many changes as you but virgin did change my flight times which i only found out by checking my booking and wouldn't have known until my tickets came last week. I must admit i thought an email to tell us about the changes wouldn't have been so hard.

We have also had problems with our local virgin shop with them telling us incorrect information.

Plus I am still waiting to hear back from the concierge service , i emailed asking a question and it is taking quite some time for them to get back to me.

However in saying that, most of the service and experience's we have had with virgin have been excellent.. which is probably why it is so dissapointing when things arent up to scratch!

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please HELP...Virgin changes..anyone else?

universalfan, you've hit the nail on the head. We're all too quick to criticize an Airline, or anything else for that matter, when things don't go according to plan, but when they do, it's just accepted. That's life, i suppose.

I've flown Virgin over a dozen times over the last 15 years or so, and i've only had a delay of an hr or so, so will continue to use them. There will always be people who have horror stories. It's impossible for any Airline to have anywhere near a perfect record, when you take into consideration the sheer volume of Passengers carried.

On the rare occasions that i have contacted Virgin, either to book tickets, special assistance, or to query seating plans etc, i have always found them to be excellent.

I personally would take any Scheduled Airline over Charter any day of the week.

For me, booking a Charter is like going to an a la carte Restaurant; £450 for your ticket, £40 for your luggage, £60 to book seats together, £15 for your in flight mass-produced ding-ding meal in a foil tray....................