We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbury, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

I have been told it can be anywhere from the 50's to the 80's as far as temperature and weather goes in December and my dilemma is trying to decide which hotel to stay at. We definitively want to be able to go swimming and there is only one hotel with an indoor pool. However its got about 50/50 good/bad reviews. There is a cheaper hotel I looked at with decent reviews but it only has an outdoor pool. Do you think it would be best to go with the one that has an indoor pool or is it usually decent enough weather wise to book the one with the outdoor pool. I appreciate any advice.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

We have just been there during the back end of Dec and the weather went from wearing shorts one day to coats, scarfs and gloves.

One morning we came out and had to use a cd box to scrape the ice from the car windows, and Manto was closed until the temp got over 40 f.

On the day that we wore shorts and t shirst our boys went swimming in the pool at the Hard Rock hotel which was heated but the problem was when they got out it was cold and needed to wrap up in towels.

Dec is well known for having 4 seasons in one month at times.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

Of course, early December is warmer than late December. Generally, it will be warm enough to go swimming in a (heated) pool. That's one of the reason why there are so few indoor pools. They are not necessary. Go with the odds and take a chance on an outdoor pool.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

We were in Orlando from 5th to 28th Dec last year and it was cold all the time. On our last morning there was frost on the roofs of the villas. They did keep saying on the television that this was one of their worst Decembers. Going November this year, don't want a repeat of last year LOL

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,996 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

The pool wasn't even open at the Royal Pacific second week of December last year due to the cold. Disney even closed Blizzard Beach! I go every year in early December and I'd say it's been about 50/50 for swimming weather. To be fair I'm a Southern girl and a HUGE cold weenie.

We're booked for the first week of December this year and, after spending all last year's trip only looking at the beautiful, pricey, freezing pool at the Polynesian, chose to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter this year. Since I'm not a fan of the pool there I predict lovely warm weather for that week. You may be in luck!

Edited: 07 August 2011, 15:41
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,173 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

We went in early December one year and it was really cold. We spent a lot of our time in jeans and jackets and only got in the pool once during our week there. The wind was really biting, so even if we sat in the sun, it was still chilly.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

last year it was freezing. I did manage to get one pool day at my resort but that was because there was a heated pool. One night it was so cold, I had to buy a sweater and layer clothes from the Gap.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

Last December was very atypical. It was the coldest winter in decades. Here are the usual averages:

December

Average high temperature: 72.9

Average low temperature: 51.3

Average precipitation: 2.15

Average humidity (1pm): 57

Record high (1978): 90

Record low (1983): 20

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

Apart from averages, December of 2010 had two severe freezes. They weren't as bad as the horrific freezes of the 1980s (the one in 1989 was several days before Christmas).

A more normal December will be fine for heated outdoor pools.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

I would go with the outdoor pool, that would be the best bet. The weather will hopefully be on your side and you will still be able to swim.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December Weather in Orlando - hotel question

This graph of Orlando temperature and rainfall for 2010 shows the miserable January and cold December. And a hot summer.

…noaa.gov/images/…KMCO2010plot.png