We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DME vs. Private Transfer

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
DME vs. Private Transfer

We are travelling with two young children (4 and 6 years old), and on other holidays when we have taken the free bus that is provided with our package it has often taken a long time to arrive at our resort. We have found that arranging for private transportation can cut the time to our resort in half (or even more).

Would this also be the case with DME, or do they tend to be very efficient? We will be staying at the AKV, in case that's relevant (if there is a specific order of stops at resorts).

We don't mind paying the extra if it will cut our trip time down dramatically. If we do decide to arrange for private transport, are there any companies that you recommend?

Thanks,

Bob

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

We have always taken the bus they provide and it has never taken too long, the most we waited was about 1/2 hour during the very busy season. It all depends on the time of year,and also how much of a hurry you are in.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

Take the bus...the vacatio start right there with the videos...good for the childreen and it´s free!

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

hi,

i'm useing the disney magical express for the 1st time next month.i hope it goes well.

i have used a private limo service.round trip to disnay resort and back to the airport was $150 that paid for the driver tip and all tolls.so it was a great deal as a cab cost $85 dollars one way and you had to pay tip on top of that. if you would like the limo info just let me know...

pa
Level Contributor
54,791 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

We love the Magical Express, the minute you step on the Bus, your Magical Holiday has begun. And besides, it's free, that always gives me a Smile :)

Taking a Taxi or Limo will not cut the time down dramatically

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

Overall, there is no substantial time savings between DME and a car service. On paper, most people automatically assume that DME will take longer because it's a shared ride. But in reality, skipping baggage claim saves a bunch of time, and makes up or nearly makes up for possibly waiting for a bus and possibly not being the first drop off.

In my three times taking DME, I timed it. I timed it from the moment we stepped off thr plane to the moment we were dropped off at our resort. These times were 63, 56 and 57 minutes. So this includes walking through the terminal and waiting for the airport "monorail" and then riding that and then walking to the ground trsnsportation level and so on (these are things you have to do no matter how you are getting to your Disney resort).

If you checked luggage with your airline, the very VERY shortest car service experience I can imagine is about 45 minutes. And like I said, that's the VERY shortest (including walking through the airport, waiting at baggage claim, the driver loading the vehicle, the drive to the resort).

So call it maybe 50 minutes on a pretty average day. If you compare that to my times, it would hardly seem worth it to spend so much money to save 5 or 10 minutes.

However, time isn't everything. Whenever people ask "DME or car service?", I always advise to choose NOT on time, but rather on the level of service you want and how much you're willing to pay for it. For some people, personalized service and a private ride are very important. And if those things are important to you, then DME can't possibly give them to you, which means that DME is not for you even though it's free.

But if you're just looking for an efficient way to get from the airport to your resort and you like the idea of free, then DME will be a good choice for you.

As for your question about your resort, there are no pre-set groupings of resorts and no pre-set order of drop-offs. Some groupings are more common than others (it's based on reservations data, meaning they know about how many people are going where at about what times, and thus they can group resorts for the most efficiency). As for the order of drop-offs ... drivers are told which resorts they are going to for that run, but given that info, the drivers are free to decide the ORDER of the drop offs for themselves.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

Take the bus your kids will love it. They show a video, play songs etc to get everyone in the mood. You're on holiday relax and enjoy, it's not a race:)

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

Use DME! As others have said, your kids will love it and it is a wonderful feeling to not have to deal with luggage!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

We Love DME! I make a point of spending our $250/trip, that we used to spend on a car service, on myself. Magical!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

Another vote for Magical Express...we've done both too... as others have said ME is lovely ..plays Disney films..great for kids, it may stop at a couple of Disney Hotels before yours..but..would only add 5-10 mins on to the journey.

We got a cab to MCO from POR last year as DME run from resort approx every 30 mins and we wanted to squeeze as many extra mins into the end of our holiday as we could (so we had an extra 20 mins at the hotel)..haha. The cab cost $60.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DME vs. Private Transfer

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It certainly seems to makes sense to go with DME.