We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

I just returned from 9 days in Orlando. Went to the Disney parks 6 days. We had a wonderful time and the kids loved the parks. One thing I was very disappointed in was the rudeness of people. People would think nothing of running over a 5 year old. They did not think lines were for them they would push you and walk right around you to get to where they wanted to be. Anywhere from restrooms, nightly show endings, tram lines, or just walking the parks in general. This was our first trip to Disney, and due to the rude tourists I would never want to stay on Disney property.

I was very happy to go back to our off site townhouse each night and get away from the people and have quietness!

My advice is to bring lots of patience with you to Orlando, and prepare yourself for lots of nasty people.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
689 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

I too have witnessed many of these people but I do think they are in the minority in Orlando.

I have seen so many people with children waiting in lines and just edging forward all the time hoping for a better spot not realising that when they get inside to Philharmagic or Monsters Inc Laugh Floor or wherever there is LOADS of spaces for everybody.

Perhaps people are used to comparatively inferior parks in their own countries and are used to this sort of behaviour.

One that annoys me are the people who don't go to the end of the aisles despite being repeatedly told. Just out for themselves. I always bring lots of patience with me to Orlando and am always in a chilled out mood. If people want to do this..........whatever......I'm just happy to be in Florida

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

I think there are just a lot of rude people in general-but a theme park in the summer with kids does seem to bring out a lot of it. We try to avoid situations that we know are going to be irritating;for instance,we watch the MK fireworks from one of the hotels instead of inside the MK since we have encountered so many pushy,rude people shoving in front of us-and others-who have been waiting in a space for awhile. We do character interaction at character meals. We drive instead of dealing with Disney transportation.I live in a city where the express line in supermarkets -10 items or less-means nothing so we kind of adjust to avoid the worst of people's behavior.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

I do not mean this is a rude way, but I notice this a lot from people from {specific other parts of the world}. We go to Mexico a lot which seems to be a popular tourist spot for them as well, and they are alway pushing me and my kids out of the way in the buffet lines, or getting in front of the line when waiting for transportation.

This seems to be the case on cruises we have been on as well!

I really think it is just a cultural thing (everyone out for themselves maybe) and they don't mean to be rude. It's usually those same people that talk to us at the pools/beach and are very nice.

My husband and I have learned to just hold our ground, and carry on w/ our business.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
185 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

Are you talking about Japanese people KendallsMom?

I find them the rudest.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

Just don´t see the relation with staying on property or not...it happens anywhere...

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

Me either Brazil, strange comment...

I think every country has it's fair share of rude people, America, UK everywhere! Wherever you go in the world you'll find them:(

I find it's usually not the nationality of someone that makes them rude it's usually whoever has a camcorder attached to their hand, they seem to think they have a god given right to stand in front on you no matter how long you have been standing waiting for the parade, fireworks, show etc. Also some people with kids who arrive late for the parade, now, I have no problem letting a little kid stand in front of me to see but I don't want his mother and father, his 18 year old (6ft 4") brother, his aunt & uncle & grand parents all pushing me out of the way too. Get there earlier like the rest of us or stand at the back! Rant over... and breathe...................

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
979 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

Interesting thoughts about staying or not on Disney property. I think you will find the majority of the rude guests are actually staying off-site.

In fact the rudest I have encountered was when waiting for hotel shuttle buses - no concept of queueing. Especially late at night. There seems to be an understanding of "we can turn up at tyhe last minute and still sit together if we push our way to the front".

There are rude people everywhere of every creed, colour, size, age etc etc etc. Unfortunately these people always seem worse when the weather is warm.

Grin and bear it, rise above it and hope they get wet when it rains!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

Yes, we should all travel with pepper spray to deal with these groups of rude people.

I remember one woman smoking at the MK fireworks. Of course there is no smoking in Disney parks, but she had no qualms about puffing away and forcing everyone to breath in her toxic smoke. In that case one of those high powered squirt guns would have come in handy (Super Soakers)

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

Carmela, never go to DisneyLand Paris! ;-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No one mentioned the amount of patience needed!

BrazilFamily4,

There isn't enough pepper spray in the world...........

I would never go anywhere in France, so no worries there