We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

butler, nj
Level Contributor
324 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

Well I am back from Disney and it was unbelievable! I could not have asked for a better vacation! We were up at 3:30 AM on Saturday morning (stupid me should have booked the flight on late Friday evening -- must make memo to self about predawn flights). We arrived at the airport and were off by 6:00 AM. Landed on time and the Magical Express Bus was ready and waiting for us! No lines as it was too early from what the driver told me -- gets crowded after 9:00 AM. Had to make a few stops at Caribbean Beach and Pop Century Resorts before AKL. My nephew was oohing and aahing at each place. When we pulled up to AKL, he was speechless!!!! No lines at check in and when the front desk agent asked what we were celebrating (my 45th and his 10th birthday) she gave us stickers which floored my nephew (yes this is the same child that said he didn't want anything "babyish"). I asked the agent if she could work some magic regarding our room and with one phone call she upgraded us from a regular standard room to a Sunset Savannah Room on the third floor!!!!! The room was everything and more! My nephew's jaw dropped while walking through the lobby and when he saw 3 zebras from the balcony he nearly flipped! Oh, yes we were also allowed immediate check in instead of having to wait until 3:00 PM. It's now 10:30 AM and while the whole AKL heard him yelling out the different animals he was observing from the balcony, I made all the phone calls to family that we had arrived. All my nephew wanted to see were the giraffes. I'm trying to get his attention that we were going to AKP and needed to leave. Just as we were about to close the balcony door, 6 giraffes come walking by! I figured what the heck and we watched the animals for about an hour while he grabbed the pen and animal sheet to check off everything he sees. Arrive at AKP around noon and it is HOT. We get Happy Birthday and 1st Visit buttons which thrilled him to no end. I can't say how nice the people and visitors were with everyone wishing us a happy birthday the whole day. To top it off, one of the ice cream push cart vendors called us over and gave us free Mickey Mouse ice creams!!!! I got Fast Pass tickets for Kali Rapids and didn't realize you had to wait an hour before getting Fast Pass tickets for other rides (Mt. Everest). The cast member by the Fast Pass at Expedition Everest comes over to us and palms me two Fast Pass tickets for Expedition Everest for us to ride immediately!!!! Around 2:00 PM came the downpour!!! We ate a late lunch at Yak and Yeti quick service then off to Festival of the Lion King where my nephew was asked to participate in the parade at the end of the show! We had a great day seeing shows, meeting characters and going on the rides. Unfortunately when our Fast Pass time came for Kali Rapids, the rides was experiencing technical difficulties. We never made the Safari Ride but I don't think my nephew even noticed. We left the park at closing and had dinner at Sanaa. He was treated to a Happy Birthday drum parade by the servers. We got back to the hotel around 9:30 PM and went swimming while watching the Disney movie Up. It was a perfect day for both of us and something neither he nor I will ever forget!

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,229 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

I can't believe you're back already!! What a great day that was - thanks for sharing it with us. Can't wait to hear the rest. (You're back in time for the hurricane!)

2. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 21:30
Level Contributor
54,567 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

Wow, wow and wow again, what a Swell Start.

" he was speechless"

The AKL has a way of doing that to you :)

Jacksonville Beach...
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

Love it!!! Remember the no baby post and now it's the best aunt in the world award!!! Cheers!

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

wow what a great day you both had...i love that ak upgraded you to the savannah view room,they did the same for us it was my hubbys 60th birthday. when we got to the room and we open the curtians it was the same thing jaw hit the floor..akl is a great place with wounderfull staff !!!

Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

WOW WOW wow sounds like u all had a magical day! and i bet the little guy thinks u are the best aunt in the world!!!

i cant belive thats u back already!!

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

Fantastic! We are looking forward to staying at akl (only for the night before the wedding) but the bride and groom are staying for a few days. You obviously had a fantastic first day and I would have loved to have seen your nephews face!

Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

Wow is it more to come ? Really happy about this positive tripreport

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

Woww, all that and only your first day !! what a fantastic experience for you and your nephew, thats the Magic of Disney isn't it. :o)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
672 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Da-Da-Da-Disney! Trip Report Day 1

Oh how perfect it was for you both, I bet you couldn't wish for a more amazing time, your nephew will take those memories everywhere with him, and its you that made them x your the coolest aunt ever x