We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AK in morning or afternoon?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ipswich, MA
Level Contributor
797 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
AK in morning or afternoon?

Planning on going to AK the week before Thanksgiving and spending a half day with my almost 3 and almost 6 yr olds. Staying at the Bay Lake Tower. To maximize our times and avoid the most crowds, and enjoy the experience more, would you recommend AM or PM, and is a half-day enough? We will be in Disney for a total of 3 1/2 days.

glasgow
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

AM then if you really enjoy it you have the option to stay a little longer.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

The morning is normally better especially if you are going on the safari ride as the animals are more active if it's cooler, i normally stay virtually a full day but if you only have a half day and know what you want to see you will be fine

pa
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

I agree, AM. You will be able to get round alot of the Park by the Afternoon Parade time and by then you may be ready for a little down time back at BLT

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

Definatley am as the park is not open all evening it closes way before the other main parks. Go early and combine it with a trip to downtown disney later.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

If you get there at rope drop you should be able to get on the Safari rather quickly and the animals are much more active in the morning. I also really enjoy heading over to the Kalahari Rapids area and watching the monkeys wake up. They are absolutely insane, screaming at each other and swinging around. They seem to sleep the rest of the day.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,261 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

Well, I'm the odd man out. We always see more animals, in the late afternoon. We go on the safari, twice, on every visit. First thing in the morning and last thing in the afternoon. While I agree that the animals are more "active" in the morning, this also means they get away from you. In the afternoon, they lay around, making for great photo ops. The King Lion is almost always laying on top of his rock, late in the day. Beautiful!

The biggest reason I suggest the afternoon, is the Jammin' Jungle Parade. It is one of our favorites. Wouldn't miss it, for the world. Of course, we spend the full day at AK. Far too much to see and do, for a half day visit.

With the ages of your children, be sure to take the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Great petting area, character greetings, and hands-on animal experiences. The Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical, are among Disney's finest shows. Don't miss them!

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

Our first visit and we went early.

We saw all the animals on the safari ride and everything else and above all it was quite shaded which suited us with our 3 year old.

Only downside was we were too early for the character's so we had to hang about for a bit but then when they came out we were at the front of Que so hey ho.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

Start the day there and see how long You can managed to be there we usually stay to the bitter end and can´t get enough of the park :-)

Mutter

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

I say AM.

The morning is best at opening for any disney park as lines are shorter. As far as AK, they close early so aren't a night time park. Also, most of the animals are mroe active int he AMso the safari and trails are better.

If you aren't into shows, you can be finished at the park and be back at your resort pool or another park by early afternoon after lunch.

10. Re: AK in morning or afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 06:18