We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verdict on TSA locks

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Topic
Verdict on TSA locks

buy 1 and use or use a cheap lock and take a spare??

Hate the thought of people going through my neatly packed case..

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

They'll go through it regardless, lock or no lock.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

When flying to the States we just use cable ties, our thoughts being it will deter the casual thief, we can also tell at a glance if anyone has been into the luggage, if its proper security people they put a notice inside to say they have searched. We've never had any taken off by anyone unauthorized.

Just take a few spare ones for your return journey.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,173 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

Have flown to the USA 45 times and have never put a TSA lock on our cases. As Chinners says, if they want to look in your case, they will.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

See ... http://bit.ly/zipcases enough said !!!!

David

New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

I have had two suitcases damaged by them breaking off tiny locks they don't care if they damage your belongings those little travel locks can easily be broken off without causing damage if they cared to try

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

Over the years I have stood at the carousel waiting for my luggage, coming through from Sanford and seen many locks on there which have been cut off./

The hard case with built in locks they just jemmy bar them open , and parcel them back together with parcel tape . I have also seen zip fasteners just Stanly knifed rather than clip the lock or cut the cable tie.

One guy stood near me let his luggage go past several times because he did not see his pained lock on them. he only released they had been clipped off when 2 of his lock came round on the carousel which he of course recognised. but they were not attached to a case.

If they want to be in they will get in. they are not bothered if they ruin the case or not. So why run the risk of ruining a case by putting a £2;00 lock on it.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

I was a firm believer in using TSA locks. We had been using them on our luggage and hadn't had a problem in several trips to the US plus trips elsewhere. We felt it would stop the 'causal' thief or at least stop zips coming undone through getting snagged etc.

However on my last trip the TSA cut a TSA approved lock off my bag - and left a note inside. Not only did they loose the lock but they cut through the zip so the bag was ruined. Luckily my stuff (SCUBA gear) was OK and Virgin kindly compensated me with a new bag - Virgin rep. at Heathrow said TSA locks get cut off all the time.

I will still use the ones we have, but won't bother buying any more TSA locks.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

Here is my (devastatingly simple?) logic:

1: TSA locks aren't expensive - a few GBPs or USDs at most. So in deciding whether to use them vs. other locks, no locks, or cable ties, we're not discussing matters of major financial impact. I therefore discount cost as having any weight in the decision.

2: When we travel, we may have our cases opened properly, our bags searched, and then put back together again with no other damage. In the case of US airports, this can ONLY happen if we have TSA locks or we use cable ties or no lock. It CANNOT happen if we have a regular lock.

3: When we travel, any lock MAY prevent an unprepared opportunist from opening our baggage and stealing the contents. Cable ties and no lock will not do this.

Point 2 is a (maybe minor) reason to discount regular locks.

Point 3 is a (maybe minor) reason to discount cable ties or no locks.

That only leaves TSA locks with no reason against. In other words, I fail to see why not. Even if, sometimes, they do get cropped open anyway.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

never locked my bag with anything, ever ,so dont bother. If someone really wants into your bag they will get in, one way or other. Just don't leave anything of value in there and if you do take a picture when in the case as proof

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verdict on TSA locks

I go along with floridashirl... use tsa locks and cable tie.... crossing fingers but never had a problem- I just want to feel I've done enough to secure my belongings and know if someone has been in...