We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

Trying to decide on a sit down meal for Hollywood Studios. Would the sci-fi theatre be a good choice? Also considering Mama Melrose and Hollywood and Vine. It would be four adults and a 4 year old. Any advice and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 14:22
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

Sorry, it won't let me edit my title....lol.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
536 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

the sci fi theatre is good if you get to sit in one of the cars and you can watch movies and ads and its great fun. but if you havent booked up in time, you wont get a car and the experience is lessened considerably.

there is also the prime time cafe which is good fun.

hollywood and vine is a buffet thingy and not great in ones opinion.

have not been to mama melroses. more opinions/advice to follow :)

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

We have booked 50's prime time for December, looks like a nice menu.I wasnt that keen on Sci-Fi.....quite dark and a tiny shelf to eat from.

Caz Essex x

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

Mama Melrose is pretty good if you stick to the simple dishes. Brown Derby is wonderful. The food is pretty bad at the 50s diner but its a lot of fun. We like the Hollywood and Vine buffet though it isn't our first choice. Unfortunately,HS has the worst food IMHO in all of the "world"...if you can walk or take the boat up to the Boardwalk, you will have many more choices.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

I loved sci fi dine in! Wasnt sitting in a car but still really enjoyed it. Food was really good!

galway
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

Brown derby is really nice. We got a walk up to sci fi. It's food I'd only ok. Burgers are their best. Movies played can be scary enough for 4 year old

galway
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

Brown derby is really nice. We got a walk up to sci fi. It's food I'd only ok. Burgers are their best. Movies played can be scary enough for 4 year old

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
457 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

I have never been to Mama Melrose so I can't comment on that but the Sci Fi I thought was pretty cool. My husband didn't like it much. We just had burgers and he said we could have gotten then anywhere. The 50's Prime time was good too. We all enjoyed that one. Great fried chicken, I got scolded a couple of times, once for having my elbows on the table and another time because I was taking to long to eat. We've also eaten at Hollywood and Vine as part of the Fantasmic package. I tried for months to change my reservation because of all the bad reviews but it wasn't as bad as everyone said. They had a nice selection of food and everything was fresh and hot so we must have been lucky that day.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

We did Mama Melrose (two families traveling together) 2 year ago (sorry, I haven't been more recently) before Fantasmic and food was decent and it was rather nice to be in a non-theme restaurant for a bit (or, at least, something less themed than others). We were on the Disney Dining Meal Plan at the time. The adults couldn't bear the thought of burgers/fries (Sci-Fi) and the kids (4 of them, between 10 & 13) didn't like the idea of the whole 50's theme thing. We'd had our full of buffets in previous parks, so that ruled out Hollywood & Vine (plus: bad reviews) and the Brown Derby was too $$ (at that time it took more than one meal credit, don't know if it still does). So that left only Mama Melrose! Kids all over like pasta, and adults can normally find a pasta dish they like, so it is a pretty safe bet. I agree with the previous poster, it seemed that Hollywood Studios had the least amount of dining choices, and we've been there to Disney (staying on site, doing meal plan, hitting all the parks, etc.) twice.

10. Re: Trying do decide on a sit down meal at Hollywood Studios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 00:17