We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Should i be getting overly worried about hurricane Katia making her way over to us here in the UK ? :o/

Forecasters are saying the next three days we are going to have very bad stormy weather, and bad weather will continue up to the end of the week.

Does anyone know at what point flights get cancelled due to strong winds, and if our flight out of Heathrow is affected when would we be informed ?

i am feeling a bit anxious as to whether we will get off the ground now !!!!

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Think it's heading further north at the start of the week so fingers crossed for you!!

Lou73

galway
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

I recommend a xanax and a stiff drink and you'll not care.

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Thank you Lou73 ... and thanks ktfloss but unfortunately your comment does not quite reassure me, just added to the fear lol, but i remain hopeful nontheless :o)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Just a breeze.

Brixham, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Hey , we are flying from gatwick on we'd morning.

At the moment my house is getting a battering , I literally live in a clifftop in south devon. My sky tv has been off since 6pm. My OH is a fisherman and the trawler is on the way in because it's just too dangerous out there and is set to get worse over the next 72 hours.

The good news according to the met office is the east shouldnt be affected, it's supposed to hit the southwest, Wales and make it's way up to Scotland. Should only be the weaker end of "tropical storm" weather by the time us in the Uk. But still nasty enough to encourage caution when out and about x

Montrose, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

we are flying on wed and my husband works offshore in the north sea he gets home mon we are getting really worried now ...

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

hehe I hope so Chinners... :o)

Your weather update does look more favourable Beth, we should be able to fly then .... so i am going to go by yours lol :o)

Hope conditions dont get much worse for your area Beth and your OH is home safe and sound very soon. :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

I think the weather in the South East is supposed to be a lot better than other parts of the UK...very windy but not gales.

I dont know if the strong gales would affect flights from London airports. Flights to Orlando normally head up toward Scotland though before crossing the Atlantic dont they?....would these gales still be a problem once the plane fully airbourne/at cruising altitude??

I hope not and hope that everyones flights do leave on time and that this bad weather that Katia is bringing in doesnt last too long.

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Ohh Lottie .... thats done it, your worrying has started me off again and my 'happy' bubble has burst .. thing is, worrying aint gonna change it.

So as my dh says ''until we are told otherwise just carry on regardless. I think really he's saying stop whittling and keep packing lol

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying out Thursday... Strong winds forecast .... uh ohh :o(

Thank you kookaburrakid, i hope you are right. I also hope we dont have turbulence for nine hours !!!! something else to worry about .... :o)