We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Airlines - not impressed

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch Airlines - not impressed

Just thought I would let you know my thoughts about Monarch Airlines as I know alot of people ask about the company. We flew with them in the last couple of weeks. Our flight out was not impressive as regards the on board entertainment. Unfortunately you do not get TV screens in the seat in front of you, if you sit on either side of the plane, you don't even get a shared screen overhead as these are only located down the central isle of seats. Out of the 3 seats in our row, only one headset could receive sound so I spent the whole journey without onboard entertainment. You also have to watch the one film/programme what is being shown by Monarch as you obviously do not get the choice of changing channels to a programme of your choice unlike other companies ie Virgin. Both flights did go on time and the food was average but I think when you do a long haul flight, entertainment counts for alot.

Wales
Level Contributor
960 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

Gosh that must have been a long boring flight! Had a similar experience five years ago with Travel City Direct. I thought all long haul now had seat back entertainment-having said that I'm flying with Continental in a few weeks, I assumed they had them too. I'd better check!

UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

I think the £1000 difference in price would outweigh a film or to for me, but thats just me, we are taking iPods loaded with films so we don't have to watch the airlines films if we don't want to.

But if you were expecting better entertainment it must have been a bit of a shock. I have learnt a long time ago to be prepared when flying, and take various things to keep the kids entertained.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

I take a book :)

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

We never watch it weather its seat back screens or the overhead type.

One reason for not having a seat back TV and overhead screens is they cost a lot to maintain, and a lot to pay public entertainment licences and film Royalties. And the airlines are just a tax and revenue raising agency for government and film studios. I would not complain if the took all of them out.

What did you expect? the same as Virgin who charge considerably more?

england
Level Contributor
928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

We have booked premium economy when we go, the in-flight benefits on these monarch seats include:

Wider seat with extra legroom - 34 inch seat pitch

Increased seat recline, with adjustable headrests, pillows and blankets.

Individual Seat back or personal video entertainment system.

Complimentary use of headsets.

Give-away comfort packs.

Complimentary welcome drink and free bar service.

Upgraded catering with a choice of entrée.

airport benefits include:

Dedicated check-in counters at most airports.

Increased baggage allowance of 30kg.

Priority boarding and baggage reclaim.

Fast-track/ Fastlane service at peak times at London Gatwick and Manchester.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

I think the price says it all. I like to watch the films but my husband and eldest son don't bother so it is not a priority with everybody. if the price was right I would go with Monarch as it is just a way of getting there.

england
Level Contributor
928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

That is what I thought when at the time when we booked the price of premium economy on virgin was way out of my flight budget, but monarchs premium economy was quite reasonable.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

I'm happy to pay the premium with the scheduled airlines for the extras. Total baggage allowance with VA (economy) is 2x23kg per PERSON. I'm stuck in a tube for 9 hours, so entertainment that kills the time is more than welcome (especially in the new Airbus). I land at MCO and have a 20 minute drive. Statistically, I'm less likely to suffer from a cancellation. A lot of reasons. Some people say it's just 9 hours of your life and a means to an end. But, if that was the case, we'd all be driving around in Ford Cortinas.

And actually, if you buy smart (in the sales) you actually do not spend much more on the scheduled option with all the extras.. I'm currently showing flights at under £400 for November with VA.

england
Level Contributor
928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

Virgins price is £200 per person more than what we have paid, for my party that would be an additional £800 in total.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 10:18
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch Airlines - not impressed

Like I said though, you have to buy smart (in the sales). And price is economy.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 10:59