We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
middlesbrough
Level Contributor
424 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

Hubby cannot find his paper part of the UK photocard license....

We are picking up car at MCO Thrifty

He has rang the DVLA and they have said some car hire places will accept a fax from them to conform what they need....

Anyone have any experience of this????

I have mine (all safe in the correct place lol!!) but am not fancying driving there espec as he will be in the passenger seat and is a REALLY bad passenger driver haha!!!

Any clues as to get around this????

house half striped..... thing is he works away and been away for 2 weeks so 1st opp to look (apart from when he should of before he went to work lol!)

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
424 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

In addition.... my passport is still in my maiden name yet my driving license is in my married name.... hmmmmmm

I suppose if i end up having to drive :-(

il take my marriage cert ???

NIGHTMARE...... left to last minute grrrrrrrr!!!!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

Just rented from Budget and Dollar and neither of them ask for the counterpart. But that doesn't mean they won't ask.

Obviously too late for you to get a replacement. Obtain the fax from DVLA and also take your driving license and counterpart too. when it comes to the worse you can still drive.

At the rental desk just present your DH's photocard and only produce the fax of the counterpart if they request it. Failing that you will have to drive. There is always the bus though ;) Have a good time :)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

Is it worth giving thrifty a ring at MCO and find out there policy?

Otherwise you are going to have a stress full flight!

Good luck, not that this is any help but I don't remember being asked for the paper part the various time we have drove...

xx

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

If you do ring and they say a copy is fine...make sure get the name of the person who's says that a copy will be fine, incase there is a jobs worth on the desk on the day of collection! :)

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

I've never been asked for the paper part of my licence when renting a car in the US (or elsewhere including UK) though I take it just in case. As they don't use a paper part in the US most rental agents don't even know of it.

Whilst you are advised to take it, chances are it won't be needed. Would be worth taking the fax just in case.

uk
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

Although the car hire places rarely ask for it -if you were unfortunate enough to be involved with an incident and the police are there they will ask for it .

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
424 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

Thanks guys.......

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

knowing our luck we will get asked lol!!!!

We have rang Thrifty and the guy

(jacob...got name lol!)

DH explained that in UK we have the Paper counterpart and photocard but has lost the paper counter part....

he said 'you either have a valid driving license or you dont'

DH reply ' ihave a valid Driving license'

to which jacob said thats fine just take the photocard in english with valid credit card and will be ok

He has just rang DVLA to get a fax sent to us but they say they only fax to the car hire company DOH!!!!!

Il take my DL, Marriage Cert etc and pray it all goes without a hitch

I do not own a credit card so will have to use hubbys ?!

We have decided to breathe a big breath and just enjoy our hols whatever happens :-S

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
424 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

oh and SKY....... iv heard all about the buses lol ;-)

haha...... it maybe easier than having my DH navigate and tell me how to drive if his DL is an issue LOL!!!!!!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
410 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

I like Jacob's reply lol!!

We rented our of Sanford (Alamo) & they asked for my paper license when we arrived.

I would be happy with there reply though, as long as he takes the photocard they call always call the DVLA if need be.

Have a lovely holiday!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
671 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 48 hours til we fly, lost paper part of UK Driving license

We have been asked for both parts before, once by thrifty and once by dollar, fingers crossed for you sweet, and like you said whatever happens, just enjoy, your in Florida on your hols x :) x