We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I upgrade????????

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Can I upgrade????????

My friend and I have VA/PE tickets but now it looks like my friend may not be fit enough to travel. Our tickets are the sort that you can't change dates/names on.

On her advice I have asked another friend to go but on checking VA's site there are no PE seats available for our flight. If I book an economy ticket, does anyone know if I will be able to upgrade that ticket at check in at the airport?

I know my first friends ticket will still be valid because we are not going to try and cancel it, just in case she can still travel but if she can't, then I wonder if we can upgrade my second friends ticket so that she is sitting near to me.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I upgrade????????

I think this is something you'll probably have to take up with Virgin. it's worth a try trying upgrade at the airport but they'll probably charge you a fortune! If your first friend does decide to go then friend no2 will be sitting on her own anyway..

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I upgrade????????

Yes USL, I pointed that out to friend no2 and she is quite happy with that, no let me rephrase that, she is ecstatic that she is going to the place where magic happens. Lol

No we were thinking if friend no1 doesn't go then it would be nice if we could sit together.

I think you may be right tho, its gunna be the type of thing to sort direct with VA.

Thank You.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I upgrade????????

You know what Virgin are like, even if no1 friend doesn't go they'll want to charge no2 friend to upgrade :(

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I upgrade????????

Floridashirl,

I hope you get this sorted out with VA ok. We are thinking of you here. Good luck, and remember note to self to check that deodorant! lol

OH ajg

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I upgrade????????

We expect to pay to upgrade but because this seat will still be in no1 friends name, will they take our word for it that she isn't going or will we have to wait till they claim she is a 'no-show' before they release it to be resold. This is getting confusing, hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

OH ajg, Thank you for your wishes..................cheeky madam. lol.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I upgrade????????

Not confusing at all but Virgin will want a hefty payment to upgrade, even though they already have the ticket money from friend no1, you can bet your life on that. Surely friend no1 will know a couple of days, at least, before whether she is going or not, when she knows she is not going then would be the time to call Virgin and do some negotiating, I wouldn't leave it til you get to the airport.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I upgrade????????

How much would it be to change the name on the ticket?

Usually if airlines say you can't change names it isn't an absolute...they'll let you change the name, for a price. You should check because I bet that's less than your other friend buying a new ticket!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I upgrade????????

Thanks USL, thats a great help. I didn't know whether they let the upgrades go cheaper as it got closer to flight time, especially with it being a single seat. Never had to do an upgrade like this before, nearly always gone for the PE seats to start with.

Hopefully friend no 1 will be able to confirm early enough. I'll be so disappointed if she can't go, we've been planning for months but her health is the most important thing now.

Once again Thank you for your help. :-) x

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I upgrade????????

Kat, thats not an option at the moment, because we are still hoping friend no1 will be able to go, she doesn't have the surgery till nearer our departure and it depends on how that goes and what recovery time she is going to need. We are talking the possibility of the big C so a trip to Florida could be a big boost if she is able to travel.

Thanks for the advice though, I did think if you had the nonflex ticket that they wouldn't budge an inch on it, so its handy to know, if its possible at a later date for us to go that route.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 21:29
Liverpool
Level Contributor
643 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I upgrade????????

Sounds like all the PE seats on your flight are sold - so you'd be unlikely to be able to purchase a seat at check in unless they decide to upgrade some PE customers to First Class.

Once onboard and the flight commences, there's always a chance the PE stewards may allow your friend to sit with you - if you explain the circumstances to them.