We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Florida

uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Florida

Hi,

Really hope you can help....we are planning to go to Disney/Florida for Xmas and new year. totally don't know where to start. we have a 5 year old and are unsure where to stay - villa, hotel in park etc. any tips, hints, advice really welcomed and appreciated as we really are clueless! thanks

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Florida

Firstly, let me prepare you for how busy it will be. So as long as you are prepared for this, it is a magical time to go.

I think it is down to personal choice on where to stay, it kind of depends if you want to do the whole Christmas tree, santa thing still. If you do then I would suggest a villa, or a Disney hotel with a large area to pop up a christmas tree.

You could purchase one very cheaply in Walmart for example.

I have stayed in Disney Value's and found Pop Century to be by far the best one.

In Moderate we loved Coronado Springs.

Yet to stay in Delux but doing that next year.

We have also stayed in a villa. and appartments,

Personally we prefer the whole magical atmosphere of staying on Disney Property. Can't explain it, but we love it. So with a 5 yr old I would probably go for Disney hotel.

Let us know your budget and we will be able to help you decide which one will suit you.

uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Florida

that's great thank you. budget no idea as we usually like to stay in 4/5*. what do you think?

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Florida

Totally agree with Cazcat, that you should stay on-site, at a Disney resort! There are so many wonderful Disney perks; free transport to/from MCO, easy/free transportation throughout Disney World, etc. The main reason you should stay on-site, are the Extra Magic Hours. Each day specific parks are open early and/or late, for Disney resort guests, only.

Please understand that you will be traveling during the number one, busiest week of the year. Every ride, show, restaurant, shop, curb for parades, etc. will be packed to overflowing. You will need to be at the parks, well before "rope drop". If you want to see the evening parades and fireworks, you must not leave the park. They can and do close, due to capacity. Disney resort guests are the last to be admitted to "overflowing" parks, but when the fire code is at capacity, no one enters.

If you are speaking of Christmas 2011, you need to look at the restaurants, right now and try to book a few meals. Guests have been allowed to book dining, since June, and many of the best venues are already "sold out".

Christmas also brings the highest price tag. Resorts and character meals, are the highest price of the year.

If you are planning the trip to see the beautiful decorations, meet Santa, and ride a few rides or see one or two shows, this is a Magical time to visit. As long as you don't plan to see and do everything, there is no place on earth more magical than Disney at Christmas!

If you really wanted to experience all the parks have to offer, you should try to travel at a different time of year.

Keep asking questions. You'll get it sorted!

uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Florida

thank you both for such great advice. you can clearly tell we don't know what we are doing hence the last minute search! can't (but can) believe the june bookings for restaurants. we'll begin our research tonight with your advice in mind. thank you!

glasgow
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Florida

Have you sorted your flights yet?

corby
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Florida

hi, we went to florida last christmas and new year, wow it was fantastic, my kids were 6,9 and 13 at the time, i will strongly recommend seaworld on christmas eve, we had dinner with santa and mrs santa at the fireside inn, you can book directly with seaworld and its not too bad for price. seaworld is a fantastic park, they really put alot of effort in at christmas. on christmas day we went to wet and wild, the temp was around 23 c, and the park was near empty! our christmas dinner was spent at boma flavors of africa which is at disney, cost us around $150 for the 5 of us, but cheaper options are available, the golden corral is open christmas, we ate there on boxing day, all you can buffet

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Florida

If you are staying for longer than a week , I suggest that you rent a villa for the second week for comfort. I have spent the last 4 yrs. at Disney and it was wonderful. I is very crowded but still great

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Florida

Well I would stay on site, and if you can afford it go for moderate.

We have done New Year's Eve and it is a nightmare, it was so busy we actually left before midnight, you could not move and it was not an enjoyable experience.

At least if you stay on site you will get extra magic hours which you will need.

So I would say, do not attempt any rides outside extra magic hours, unless you do a fastpass, and stick to extra magic hours.

uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Florida

thank you all for your replies. after researching and price checking(!) we have decided to go at the end of july for 'our first time'. currently there's the offer of eating free and money to spend in the resort...so, next thing, is this a good offer? what tips for tickets etc. really grateful for recomendations re places to stay - we want to do it with no expense spared as we reckon it'll be a one off (i know it won't though...) many thanks.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Florida

Hi ruby's_mum,

I think you have made a wise choice in deciding not to go for Christmas for your first time, you really would struggle to get the best out of your park experiences.It is a magical time to go but the crowd levels would be horrendous.

I see you have now decided on July and I don't mean to put you off but friends of ours went for their 'first time' one July and as of now it is still their 'only time', the heat is just so tiring at that time of year. We have been many. many times, our favourite time to go is April/May, you get the longest sunshine hours and lowest rainfall levels then and the temp is much more manageable. We went in July once and we said we would never go at that time of year again, we love hot countries for our holidays but it was too much for us.

I have maybe opened a can of worms with my comments and I would like to stress this is my opinion. A lot of people will look at it very differently, it is a choice only you can make, I'm sure you will make the right decision for you and your family and will have a wonderful time whenever you go. :-)

Floridashirl. x