We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

ferndale, mi
Level Contributor
277 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

I can't seem to find a scaled map or anything outlining distances in the Magic Kingdom. Of course, I'm expecting to do a lot of walking, but am trying to gage how much we can handle in a day. How long is it from, say, the front entrance to the castle? 1/2 Mile? 1 Mile?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Shepherdstown, West...
Level Contributor
170 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

I'm a map geek, and have never seen any maps with the accuracy that you are looking for. However, a fun way to figure out distances is with the ruler function in Google Earth. If you don't have it already, you can download it for free, just Google "Google Earth". Once you have it loaded, search for "Disney's Magic Kingdom, Lake Buena Vista, FL", and it will zoom to the Park. Once you are close, you can use your mouse to zoom in and center the photo appropriately. Then, click on the "Ruler" icon at the top of the page, which will open a pop-up window. Click on the "Path" tab. Then using your mouse, you can click on points along your route, and it will total the distance in the Ruler Window. I just calculated the distance from the entry turnstiles to The Castle at 0.24 mile. I know this may sound complicated, but I have gotten much enjoyment "flying" around Disney World this way. I'll follow this post in case you have any questions.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 17:35
Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

I don't know how accurate this is but I remember reading a while back in one of the guide books that on average, expect to be walking about 6 miles a day total.

They recommend wearing broken in comfortable shoes, good socks, etc. I'll try to find the article and post

Jos

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

The park is small but with the crowds it may take about 10 minutes to walk from the monorail to the castle. If you stand in the castle forecourt it takes about 10-15 minutes to get to space mountain, the haunted mansion, big thunder mountain or the pirates of the caribbean.

I don't think there is a scaled map out there. If you do each land and then move on to the next it will cut down on a lot of walking. It's when you go from land to land that you encounter the most walking.

Donna

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

Don't worry it's not a mile to the castle it may seem like it though. We are pretty unorganized when it comes to Disney 1 min we'll be at one end of the park then we bypass everything and head to the other side then back were always moving and i don't think inside the actual parks we do a ton of walking. Most walking is to and from buses, around the resort, to the food court etc. When we stayed at Caribbean beach it felt like we did more walking from our room to eat then an entire day in the park uh. It's not so overwhelming when your really only walking a few feet at a time then you stop and see something and go a few more feet etc

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

I think the distances are over-exaggerated a bit, if you are used to doing any amount of walking at all, you will be fine. I would say the estimation of .25 of a mile from the entrance to the castle is about right, maybe a little further from the castle to the end of fontierland or tomorrow land. I'd say you could easily walk 6 miles in a day though, especially if you are to-ing and fro-ing to get fastpasses and then returning. But a few things worth noting:

- You will be strolling for a good lot of it, not power walking.

- The walking will be broken up with rides and attractions

- You will be looking around so much, you will hardly notice you are walking!

As Josie says, a pair of comfortable, broken in shoes are a must. The only time I ever got sore legs was the year I wore crocs, I found they had no support or suspension in the sole, once I bought a pair of trainers, I was fine.

If you are really worried, you could always take the train from the entrance to Frontierland to cut some of the walking. Also, you could plan your visit to try and group rides and attractions that are close together, rather than following some of the touring plans which can send you over and back across the park countless times.

You should be fine though, if you are worried, you could try and take up some walking before you go to build up your endurance, but like I said, I think the distances are over exaggerated a bit.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

I just measured it on a satellite photo website that runners use to measure their runs ... from the entrance turnstiles to the Castle forecourt is 0.21 miles.

Edited: 15 October 2011, 13:03
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,112 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

The good news is that there are short cuts all over this park to help cut down the steps, if you know where to find them and look for them carefully.

It's really a "hub and spoke" setup, with the castle being the hub. Look for small walkways that cut down the steps between lands, such as the one at the restrooms between Frontierland near the shooting galary and Adventureland near the Tiki birds. There's also several shortcuts around the castle.

My favorite "quiet walkway" is inaccessible right now due to construction of the new section of Fantasyland, but it's located along the back side of the raceway cars and connects the old Toontown railroad station to Tomorrowland.

8. Re: Walking distances in Magic Kingdom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 06:18