We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

ferndale, mi
Level Contributor
277 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

Hello,

Staying in Treasure Island for a few days and we are planning on making the drive to Disney and back in a day so we can hit Magic Kingdom for a few hours. My question is if I leave sometime between 7:30 and 8:30 on Friday morning, what would be the best route to take to avoid morning rush hour traffic? Mapquest has me taking I-275 into and through Tampa and then onto I-4 the rest of the way. Will I be hitting some rough traffic? If so, anything I can do to avoid it and shorten the trip?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

I don't know anything about the Florida roads, but I do know that if I were doing that I would be leaving much earlier. It is a 2 hour trip and it would be best to get to the park early. I would leave at 6 and then you wouldn't have as much commuter traffic either. Plus when you get to MK you have to take a tram from the parking lot and it can add another half hour to the time you get in the park

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,209 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

not sure what other route you would take. not much choice in the matter. from another post I see you are talking about this Friday which is a Halloween Party night with the park closing at 7 and no fireworks or nighttime parade for regular guests. i wouldn't want to miss those, but if you are OK with that, i'd certainly take the suggestion for leaving much earlier in order to get there close to opening. it's almost impossible to do it all in a full day let alone one where the park closes early and you've gotten a late start.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

At that time you're planning to leave you'll be right in the traffic coming East into Tampa for work - and there is no other faster route than I-275 then I-4.

So you have to leave much earlier.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

1031Orlando, there is something we agree on! I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I will sleep much better tonight! X O X O

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
33 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

I live in St Pete and I make day trips to Disney. I also work in Tampa. Traffic at that time is brutal on 275 over the Howard Frankland Bridge to I-4. You will need to leave TI by 6 am and you still may hit pockets of traffic in Orlando because it's rush hour when you arrive.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
33 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

I live in St Pete and I make day trips to Disney. I also work in Tampa. Traffic at that time is brutal on 275 over the Howard Frankland Bridge to I-4. You will need to leave TI by 6 am and you still may hit pockets of traffic in Orlando because it's rush hour when you arrive.

7. Re: Driving from Tampa (Treasure Island) to Disney and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 17:19