We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers Baffled

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers Baffled

Hi there,

My wife and I are taking our 12 year son and 10 year old daughter to Disney in early November for a week. Staying at Hilton Bonnet Creek.

None of us has ever been and to be honest I am baffled by the sheer size and options.

Was hoping I could get some advice on a plan of attack. Should we go to one area per day? Is there a suggested order to visiting each part of the park? Are there must sees that cannot be missed and are there some places that arent worth it as much? Any help to allow me to narrow things down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers Baffled

I am assuming you are talking about the Disney parks , we tend to spend one dayat both Disney Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdoms & 2 days at Magic Kingdom & Epcot

but as long as you have one day at each park you should be able to see most of the parks

All of the parks for the first timer are a must see but I have visited the area 10 times upto know & still haven't seen everything in the parks-you can always re-visit

What tickets for the parks do you have ?

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Disney's Hollywood...
24,652 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
58,979 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,372 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers Baffled

When I go to WDW, I generally follow DIane's plan of attack: 1 day at DHS, 1 at AK, 2 at MK, and 2 at Epcot. As you don't have access to extra magic hours because of being off-site, you should try to avoid park days where there are extra magic hours (that is especially true for morning EMH days). Here is a park calendar:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Calendar.htm

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,372 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers Baffled

Be sure to have a family talk about what rides everyone wants to do the most - at each park. Those are the ones you should hit first and fastpass as well. Learn the FP system. It can save a ton of time. Try to have a general schedule for your time in Orlando. Be at park when they open. Less crowds= better time = better lines.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers Baffled

I really suggest that you buy a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney World as it will lay everything in unbiased views and will give you touring plans, etc. It is the best investment that you can do PRIOR to book anything except flights.

You say early November so the parks won't be so crowded (post Halloween time) and the weather still hot enough but don't even think of going late November during US Thanksgiving.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers Baffled

I agree that the "Unofficial Guide" is a great tool for first and second time visitors; it will answer all the questions you can imagine and gives much advice from readers as well as the writers. You can probably find a 2010 one at a big discount, which won't be very different from the 2011 edition (since the parks haven't made any really huge changes in the past year or so). You can supplement the guide with advice on the forum from the experts.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers Baffled

I love the Unofficial Guide! It also covers Universal and IOA. Just got the 2012 edition (my last copy was 2008). They cover everything...attractions, rides, hotels, and they quote reviews from people who have actually experienced it all, so it is not just the opinion of the author you are getting

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers Baffled

TIP - Do NOT go to Magic Kingdom on a Saturday. It is always crowded on Saturdays. Sunday is pretty crowded at Magic Kingdom too, but not as crazy as Saturday. Choose any park other than Magic Kingdom for your Saturday visit.

Mentioned in this post
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
58,979 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers Baffled

You can probably check out a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney World at your library too for free! :) My library has 2010 and 2011 versions.

Make a little plan with the day, the park and the attractions most important to you then .... ATTACK!@ Do not miss Wishes at Magic Kingdom! Do Character meet and greets sparingly as lines are long and you're just standing there to get a photo with a plushie. Your kids probably are too old maybe to want to get an autograph book to get everyone's autograph. That's good news for you because you won't be spending hours in line.

Buy a lanyard at home and pick up a value pack of pins for trading with Disney World cast members, that's a great souvenier. Also, pressed pennies available all over all the parks are good souveniers and very cheap - only 51 cents each. If you think your kids would like it take lots of quarters and pennies, preferably pennies made 1982 or earlier when they were still made of all copper - they look better when pressed, no silver streak in the middle. Clean the pennies before you go with vinegar to make them shiny and pick up a collector book for a few bucks.

Your 10 year old girl will probably absolutely love the Kim Possible scavenger hunt game at Epcot, it's a super cool fun thing for them to do while you explore the World pavillion and has some neat surprises.

Mentioned in this post
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
58,979 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,372 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers Baffled

The Unofficial Guide to WDW is very good, and I recommend it too. However, it is hundreds of pages long, and the OP is apparently going to be on his way to WDW in around 2 weeks (I assume when he says November, he means 11/2011 and not 11/2012). Therefore, he probably is not going to have much time to read and absorb what is in the book. I am also guessing that is why he posted his question here.

Crhino - here are some questions:

1. Exactly what day are you arriving and what day are you leaving?

2. Have you made any advanced dining reservations for sit-down meals? If you haven't, please be advised that you can make ADRs even if you aren't staying at Disney.

3. Were you aware that WDW has Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on Certain nights beginning in November (it costs extra money to attend)? I am guessing you will probably be around for at least one party date.

4. Were you aware that Epcot is having a Food and Wine Festival that runs into mid-November, including concerts by rock bands from the 80's and 90's?

5. Have you bought any park tickets yet?

6. Did you have any interest in going to one of Disney's two waterparks? It may well be warm enough to go to one when you are there, but I wouldn't nevessarily want to go there on a first visit when there is so much to do in the parks.

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,372 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers Baffled

Magic Kingdom DO NOT MISS -

Roller coasters Big Thunder and Space Mountain

Pirates of the Caribbean

Mickey's Philharmagic (pure MAGIC)

Wishes fireworks show

Haunted Mansion

Splash Mountain

Magic Kingdom SKIPPABLES -

Hall of Presidents

Country Bear Jamboree

Stitch - (it's gawd awful horrid and has no business being in Disney World)

Carosel of Progress (unless you really need a nap)

Tiki Room (unless you really like listening to Gilbert Gottfired screeching)

Animal Kingdom MUST DO

Expedition Everest roller coaster (scream Yeti Yeti Yeti!)

Safari tour

Hollywood Studious MUST DO

Star Tours

Tower of Terror

Indiana Jones show

Aerosmith roller coaster

Toy Story (go there first and get a fast pass or you won't get in)

Hollywood Studios SKIP -

maybe the Great Movie Ride (it's all about really old movies - adults might like it but kids don't)

Epcot DO NOT MISS

Soarin

Nemo

Mission Space

World Pavillions - amazingly beautiful to walk around in

Epcot SKIPPABLE

Livin with the Land

Figment (your kids are probably too old)

Mentioned in this post
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
58,979 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Space Mountain
Space Mountain
339 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America