We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live TR . First few days....

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Live TR . First few days....

Promised myself i would try a TR this visit so here goes.

Travelling myself, DH, DS(18) DS(22)+GF(21) 5th visit. plusour friends and their DD(13) AND DS(17) -all newbies.

fly with virgin staying in 7 bed villa in Emerald Island.

we set off on thursday evening by train to Gatwick. missed bag drop by 10 mins so we had to keep luggage till next morning which wasnt a prob as we had already checked in online. Stayed at the Hilton with 3 course buffet incl in price. was fine the buffet was good quality and hot. we had booked a quad, triple and double rooms. Double room was lovely but other two a little dated and friends said the family room bunks squeeked all night when kids moved.(prefer Sofitel). Up at 9am next morning did bag drop at 10 there was no queue and through security in 10 mins. i had booked us into A1 lounge which was great as usual had a bacon sandwich and a few drinks well worth the £12 each we paid as were in there for around 3 hrs. Virgin flight was delayed 45mins which we werent too fussed about at the time but later turned out to be a bit of a pain. The flight itself was great really. No turbulance, food surprisingly good. salad, bangers and mash or macaroni cheese and choc pudding. we landed at 6pm to complete chaos in immigration. took us 2 1/2 hours to get to baggage collect. A member of staff said it was due to our flight arriving late and that passengers from another flight were being held on the plane as no room in immigration for them. Anyways we made it through tired and hungry collected car super quick from budget carpark. so glad i filled in the online details as all desk queues were huge!!!

called for a mc D's on way to villa as all starving. Villa in Emerald Island is lovely. Only a couple of niggles but on the whole totally adequate. Our friends love it. plenty of room for us all as 7 beds.

Did a quick trip to Publix for alcohol and breakfast stuff and fell into bed round midnight.

1st full day - woke up to rain, so we went to kill a couple of hrs in wallmart and did a big shop. had lunch in villa till sun came out then headed to Blizzard beach which was amazingly quiet because of the weather and its last few days before refurb. Did everything with no queues. DD at night for shopping and a lovely meal at Rainforest Cafe. $180 for 5 of us incl tip.

2nd day - Chilled around the pool then headed to US at lunch time. purchased stay and scream tickets for HHN at just under $40 each. The Park was amazingly quiet all afternoon and night. Did everthing except disaster and simpsons before we were put in holding pen for HHN. We were led to the 1st house around 5:45pm and by 8:30 we had done all houses, scare zones rides and 1 show. amazing night so funny. Had a scream ... lol. Made all the better because no crowds at all. headed back to villa and ordered a Dominos. (sunny all day)

3rd day - woke up to very heavy rain and a decorated villa for halloween, while we slept our friends had put bugs etc everywhere. headed to Premium Outlets till lunch. productive trip incl. uggs from journeys. $149.99 (short sand) + protection pack $20. Sun came out so we stuck to our itinery and headed to Seaworld where once again it was very quiet. in 3 1/2 hours we had done rides numerous times, all walk on, seen dolphin, clyde and seamore and whale shows plus got to see a decent amount of exhibits. Ate at TGIs at night $180 incl tip for 9 0f us. was very good.

4th day (today) - Suns out. Been to Typhoon Lagoon today had a lovely day everything was walk on again, Played disney winter summerland minigolf then ate at Longhorn. Half of us loved our meals and half not keen. $245 incl tip for 9.

We are heading to IOA in morning for harry potter. sooo looking forward to it. Our friends are loving every minute of the hol. and are amazed by everything. I love seeing everything through their eyes as newbies.

before i sign out for the night , we are spending what seems like a lot on our evening meals and just wondered where would be a cheaper alternative for us and our steak loving friends to eat. Also which buffet would you recommend for a half decent bit of steak and some chicken. I am trying to save a few extra $$$ on our meals as there is so much i want to buy in he shops.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
880 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live TR . First few days....

Susy sound like you ohana is having a great time, thanks for sharing.

wigan UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live TR . First few days....

good TR!! :-))

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live TR . First few days....

Hi, you could try Denny's for a more economical price.

We have tried the ones on both east and west of the 192. Excellent food and service but i dont think they serve alcohol, or should i say we never noticed if they did.

We also ate at the Ponderosa on both sides of the 192 a couple of evenings, the west side of the 192 has the larger Ponderosa. You can choose to have a steak or chicken meal made to order and still use the buffet if you want.

They are worth a try, even just once if you have not been before. We have enjoyed meals from both.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live TR . First few days....

Try Applebees or Chillies they both have 2 eat for $20 offers, there is a good choice and Applebees have 2 for 1 on alcoholic drinks too tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g34169-d…

Sorry but just can't bring myself to recommend Ponderosa for decent food but I belive that Golden Corral is OK if your really want to eat at a buffet

Edited: 02 November 2011, 09:51
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live TR . First few days....

We tried Golden Corral at Lake Buena Vista in the summer, and was surprised at the quality for the price (we've tried Ponderosa before and didn't like that) - we went for lunch and had the buffet, but they do evening meals/buffet too. Very good value.

Sweet Tomatoes (Crossroads) was a very good buffet - lots of fresh salads - and inexpensive.

We like the Outback Steakhouse at Formosa Gardens for good inexpensive sirloin (best sirloin I've ever had, and our friend a British beef farmer loved it too and couldn't believe the price). I always get the 6oz sirloin with fully dressed baked potato and house salad, for $9.99. You can get a 9oz sirloin with the meal for $13.99 (prices in the summer anyway)..

Hope the above are helpful to you.

Forgot to say - Good TR, keep them coming.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 10:08
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live TR . First few days....

We also eat at Chillies they have 2 meals for $20 also eat at Olive Garden and Red Lobster were meals are on average $16 there is no need for starters as they give you unlimited salad and garlic bread sticks at Olive Garden and salad,coleslaw and unlimited cheddar bay biscuits(cheese scones) at Red Lobster and soft drinks are free refills. Apparently Millers Ale House is good for steaks never tried it as I don't eat steak. give them a try you won't be disappointed. Enjoy the rest of you holiday

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Live TR . First few days....

Cheers guys will definately try one of those buffets. Maybe golden corral??? Millers is on our list as not been before. Will also be going to chillis and outback as we have had fab meals there before.

Have decided we are gunna grab some meat and BBQ tonight after IOA. Anyway must get a move on driver (DH) says the bus is departing in 1hr ;-)

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live TR . First few days....

I was going to suggest Applebees as well, they have some amazing special offers and the food is really tasty.

9. Re: Live TR . First few days....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 05:15