We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline from the UK?

Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Topic
Which airline from the UK?

We're in the midlands so can fly from anywhere from london to manchester.

But which airline to go with?

My essential requirement is seat back TVs for the kids - I hate watching those ones that hang from the ceilings.

And more leg / bum room is a huge bonus too.

And it must be a direct flight.

I can't work out how to find out this information.

We are probably going friday - friday next april so from my (useless) internet searching it appears to be Virgin or Thomas Cook, as everyone else don't do Fridays.

One place I read said Thomas cook don't have TVs, but another brochure said they all did have. and had "up to" 33 inches leg room - but from that i guess most don't....

And I've no idea if charter or scheduled makes any difference - other than we fly into a different airport. From what I've read this doesn't make much different as the Sanford one is further away so longer drive, but much quicker to get through the airport and to the hire car. (we'll have a car and book a villa in kissimmee).

The prices I had were £400 more for virgin, and if this is better (9 hours flight with fighting kids and no tv would not be good) then I'll pay it but don't want to pay more than this if there is no real benefits.

Any tips?

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
479 Reviews
from US$54.99*
Kennedy Space Center, Everglades...
190 Reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
131 Reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
17 Reviews
from US$51.99*
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airline from the UK?

Hi, I found a package deal then called Virgin and asked them to price match in the past and they have done this!

I am a virgin holidays fan and only go with them, they fly into Orlando international which I would prefer to Sandford

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airline from the UK?

VA every time for us now. Have done Sanford, but now it's MCO all the way.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airline from the UK?

Can recommend Virgin especially the new Airbus with the fab new entertainment system, kept our two entertained the whole journey, the time flew by!. It really didn't feel like 9 hours. Coming home we were on the 747 and they were bored as the selection of films/music wasn't very good. From Manchester the new airbus is the early flight at 11.00 and the later flight at around 1.00 is the 747. Leg room is ok, not the best but not too bad...until the person in front reclines....aaaagh :(

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airline from the UK?

Not sure where exactly you are but East midlands have a Saturday flight with Thomson. They have seat back entertainment and 33" leg room I think.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airline from the UK?

Flew with BA this year after many years of VA. BA from now on!

Level Contributor
2,115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airline from the UK?

I flew this year with Virgin, after 4 years of BA, as they were a bit (10's not 100's) cheaper but I wouldn't go with them again. We flew on a Friday and ended up on a 747 that had seen better days. After the previous 2 years with BAs On-Demand IFE the Virgin 747 with its old style Video loop system was unbearable, even if you're lucky enough to get one of the decent monitors.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airline from the UK?

We fly from Manchester in two weeks on the new A330 got a great deal as Virgin price matched me a deal I had seen online. From what I hear this new plane they use is excellent especially the on demand entertainment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airline from the UK?

Dont forget that Virgin's 747's are all getting re fitted next year. We used BA this year to LA and there was little difference between them and VA.

I would fly either and go on price, the flights on the new airbus are more expensive than the 747's. Also VA offer free pick your seat where as BA charge £20 each way !

It's only 9 hours so go by price but I wouldn't do charter as had problems in the past.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airline from the UK?

Has got to be BA, nice comfortable Boeing 777 aircraft with seat back on demand TV's.

Plenty of scope for flexibility in their services incase of knock on delays. Unlike Virgin who only have a handful of Leisure configured 747 / A330's so takes them days to get back on track.

Dont forget to join the BA Executive club and link it to a family membership. Quickly add up miles for free flights that way.

Also possibility to fly into MCO and out from Tampa if you fancy a few days in lovely Clearwater :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airline from the UK?

Has to Virgin all day long, drive up to Manchester and you'll be on one of the two new A330's. Best IFE system in the air by Pansonic for your kids, upgraded in flight menu.....

Sign up for Virgin Miles, I redeemed my fare this year and only paid taxes which was nice.

As someone else has mentioned already, the Gatwick fleet of 747's are being upgraded throughout 2012 with new interiors inc IFE.