We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetlag question.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Topic
Jetlag question.

I'm worried how we will get on returning from the US at the end of our holiday.

Going out wil be fine, because we will be on holiday and will do as much as we feel like.

I'm planning on only shifting our body clocks partially - ie still getting up very early and being at the park before the 8am openinh, and going to bed early.

What I need to know is if we have an overnight flight on the Sat evening / arriving early Sunday, will I be fit to do a long 12 hour day at work on the Monday. It's a difficult job and I need to have my brain functioning! Will the kids cope with a full day at school plus breakfast club and afterschool club or will it just be too much?

Any advice. How are others doing by monday morning if you fly back saturday night? I'm seriously thinking of flying friday - friday instead for this reason, but there are other drawbacks of doing this.

Thanks

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetlag question.

I hate to say it , but i doubt it, you will find that your plan might not go as you think, we have been 7 times and this time i was so shattered going there i went to bed at 9pm, big mistake, was up at 3am, not good, then was knackered the whole day after. On the way back i tried to sleep on the plane , slept for maybe a hour and when we got back home at 8am after a 2 hour drive home, was shattered just had to go to bed for a while, then up again to try and get back into uk time.Florida is 5 hrs behind is, theres no way you can stick to uk time, you would never have much time in the parks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetlag question.

If a 12 hour shift, maybe not.

but I fly there 2/3 times a year w/o a problem ont he return although many say the return is worst.

Like you I stay on partial UK time, and get up earlier than home and go to bed as late as I can. I find the first 4-5 days the worst in the US as I want to get up by 3-5 am and sleep at 9-10pm.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetlag question.

My daughter will sleep soindly after a trip as she is usually very tired and cope well with school the next day altho some drifting off. But if she is allowed o the games on the plane, forget it, she is too tired the next day as she has been up playing. I usually limit the games and movies, mostly not allowed as I know she will sleep for sure. Depends on your children but they deny that they are tired when the option is playing games on the computer. For yourself, unless you are those who can sleep on plane and even then, it'll be tough. But remember to get out in the sun. It helps. Goodluck.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetlag question.

I always find it is the 2nd day that is the worst--regardless of what direction we are flying. We try to do as you suggested--getting up really early/staying up really late for a day or two before we leave. Not sure if it makes a difference, but we try :-).

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetlag question.

I didn't mean stay completely on UK time, just maybe only shift back 3 hours rather than 5. We don't "do" nightlife, we'll just stay up for the fireworks one or two nights...

How long does it take to feel human again once you are back in the UK?

UK
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetlag question.

I always take the Monday off as well for a Sat to Sun flight, I always get pretty bad jetlag.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetlag question.

I would try to stay awake all day & have an early night , its always worse on the way back & I like to have a least a day to recover

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetlag question.

I think maybe a few days but it can take longer if your not a good sleeper, coming back is allways the worst. I hate it, feel so incredibly tired, its awfull, but what you have to rememeber bt the time you get home you will probably have been up 24 hrs.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetlag question.

We always fly on a Thursday and then with the over night flight back arrive home on the Friday.

This then gives us the weekend to get back into UK time before school + work on the Monday.....

But we can still feel slugish for a couple more days!!!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jetlag question.

We are flying back on a Thursday evening, arrive Friday morning and then work on Monday, I wouldn't like to go to work the day after arriving, but it affects different people different ways. I've heard it takes a day for every hour difference.