We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

Hi all,

I have a situtation.

I have just booked to go to Orlando on a last minute deal in 8 days time and I was looking at the visa waiver forms. A question they ask is if anybody has ever been arrested.

2 and a half years ago I was arrested for 'drunk and disorderly' for an offence which was not in anyway my fault, nor did I have anything to do with it as I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so I paid the fine as court was the last thing I wanted to attend.

I called Thomas Cook and went into the travel agent regarding this who said that I need to contact the US Embassy in London (from what I have read on the internet there is no way I have time to do this!). From what I have read regarding the US Embassy, they say that ANY arrests have to be declared.

I read into the question further and the question asks if anyone has been arrested or convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude. Upon looking at moral turptude, drunk and disorderly from what I can see on wikipedia (if I can rely on this) does not come under a crime of moral turpitude. So would I be able to tick no to this question?

What I am worried is I heard on a radio show a couple of months ago about someone who got their us visa declined (i'm not sure if visa waiver or actual visa) as they had a drink driving offence.

I don't know what to do, should I cancel? Should I tick no on the visa waiver as it's not a serious offence?

Has anyone else been charged for the same and gone to USA?

Thanks for your help! Any comments will ease the stress I'm going through right now!

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

I was arrested once, spent the night in the cells and was not charged with anything, because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and the police nicked about 40 people (was about

22 years ago and I was only 16 ! at football). Been 30 + time now and have never had a visa. To be honest I completely forgot about it until last year when I bumped into an old friend and we were reminiscing about our past !. But I was not charged, didn't pay a fine or anything so probably wasn't even recorded anywhere, and this was well before databases etc !

My advice is it's your money, you decide but you will probably get away with it !! Just don't admit anything ;o)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

ADS!!!!! I thought u were whiter than White!!!! Lol lol mind you, I can't exactly wear a White suit mind, black would be my colour!!! We were all young once, and erm shall I say that marlin brando movie The Wild One comes to mind.... Sigh misspent youth........ Lol

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

I am whiter than white....... these days ! lol - remember what football was like in the 80's !!

I'm sure a lot of people did stupid things when young and don't even think about it when doing things like the Esta.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

Ads, I think that no one is Mary poppins, but when your about to spend a couple of grand on a holiday and try and hope for the best if you have doubts then,your setting yourself up for a fall, and only listening to advice you want hear is financially detrimental. That's why these questions have no definitive answer .

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

yup Tony. It's your money, only you can decide on what you do. I say the same thing every week this comes up ! Take the risk and the only person to blame is you , not you Tony :o)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

Thanks for ads, a lot of people wouldn't agree with you mind, I think old fashioned values and morals are a dying tradition

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

With regards to moral turpetude, i've never, ever come across a more abstruse technical phrase, which in the UK would certainly not conform to "Plain English". To be honest, i doubt if homeland security fully understand it themselves, otherwise a clearer definition would almost certainly be available. That's why it is still a risk. It's up to you entirely, but i wouldn't want my Holiday to be dependent on a particular Officer's interpretation of this vacuous term. Good luck.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

I just think it's a money making scheme buy the Embassy. Make it as vague as possible so people get visa's when unnecessary. It would be so easy for them to spell out exactly what crimes are part of this 'moral turpitude' rubbish. And plenty of people get arrested then released without charge when the police cock up ! Harley make them a criminal but would be expected to pay $$ to get an unnecessary expensive visa.

It's confusing on purpose !

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

I agree ads. It should be immoral turpitude :)

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

immoral turpitude lol !

what would that cover ??