We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

Hi all,

I have a situtation.

I have just booked to go to Orlando on a last minute deal in 8 days time and I was looking at the visa waiver forms. A question they ask is if anybody has ever been arrested.

2 and a half years ago I was arrested for 'drunk and disorderly' for an offence which was not in anyway my fault, nor did I have anything to do with it as I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so I paid the fine as court was the last thing I wanted to attend.

I called Thomas Cook and went into the travel agent regarding this who said that I need to contact the US Embassy in London (from what I have read on the internet there is no way I have time to do this!). From what I have read regarding the US Embassy, they say that ANY arrests have to be declared.

I read into the question further and the question asks if anyone has been arrested or convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude. Upon looking at moral turptude, drunk and disorderly from what I can see on wikipedia (if I can rely on this) does not come under a crime of moral turpitude. So would I be able to tick no to this question?

What I am worried is I heard on a radio show a couple of months ago about someone who got their us visa declined (i'm not sure if visa waiver or actual visa) as they had a drink driving offence.

I don't know what to do, should I cancel? Should I tick no on the visa waiver as it's not a serious offence?

Has anyone else been charged for the same and gone to USA?

Thanks for your help! Any comments will ease the stress I'm going through right now!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

Sorry worked up with whole situation !! I only found this thread today. Basically day we was refused waiver due to answering yes on arrest q. I was advised apply for us visa done this ... Applied for all certificates !! These came back now.. Queried as no arrests showing with esta this week.. They came back to me yesterday to say certain arrests YOU CAN TRAVEL ON WAIVER.. And that we can travel on waiver !! I have paid for the application to us embassy for visa just have not made appointment yet due to work commitments..

swansea, south wales
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

son-in-law was arrested some years ago for drunk and disorderly and drunk driving. got a hefty fine and community service. he had to get a visa from the american embassy last time we went in 2006 even tho it was about 10 years before. his visa still runs till 2016 so he does'nt have to pay the ESTA fee this time

53. Re: Anyone travelled to US on visa waiver with record of arrest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:17