We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

I've been to Orlando once. In 1992 as a teenager with my family. Had a wonderful time. Now want to go back as an adult. This vacation would be for me and my husband and another adult couple who are good friends of ours - I would be the only person who has ever been to Florida before. This is an adult trip with no kids. Focus of vacation is to enjoy the attractions and parks, hang out with our friends and just be relaxed and explore the best of the Orlando tourist attractions. Not interested in shopping. Not interested in night life. Just interested in the parks/attractions/restaurants. We would be looking to spend 6 or 7 nights in the Orlando area. Not really sure what we should see but generally we definitely want to see:

Magic Kingdom

Epcot

Universal Studios

Seaworld

Some type of water park/relaxation day/beach or pool type feel day

Trip would probably be in February or March or April. Dates flexible. We would prefer to not have to rent a car, just don't want the hassle of having to navigate with gps/maps and park. Also want flexibility to have a alcoholic drink with supper and not have to worry about someone having to skip a drink because they have to drive. I understand it may be cheaper to rent a vehicle but by having to drive it would take away from our relax feel of our vacation.

We would like to stay in a decent, mid-range place. Not cheap, but not super expensive. Something clean and reasonably updated, with easy breakfast on location (an included contential breakfast would be great), and good location relative to attractions. Maybe one of the park hotels would work best for us? Maybe they include transportation to various parks and from the airport to the hotel? It would be great if that hotel has rooms with king size beds, a pool, and at least one nice mid-priced restaurant. Hotel could be a themed hotel, that would be totally fine, but prefer it if was not one that was geared mostly to young kids. One that is geared to adults/older teens a little bit more would be nice.

Questions:

1. Where would you recommend we stay? What would be a good fit for us?

2. How do you recommend we get around? taxi? maybe transportation to parks is included with some hotels? What are our options?

3. What do you think of our must see attraction list? I'm thinking one attraction/park per day? Is there something that most adults would put on their must see list that I've missed? Are there any parks that are more geared to adults than to children?

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Just in the beginning stage of planning this vacation and feel very overwhelmed with options and choices, have no idea where to start.

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

Without a car rental ( I don't enjoy driving when on Holiday :) I would recomend staying at a Disney Resort. You will have free transport to all the Disney Parks as well as to and from the Airport ( MCO ) You can book Ticket and transport to Universal and Seaworld, they will pick you up at your Disney Resort and only cost a few dollars more than the ticket itself www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/universal/

There is a nice Room Disxount at the moment for stays Feb - June. I would avoid the week before and after Easter ( April 8th ) it is the second busiest time of the year and might ruin your plans for relaxing mousesavers.com/…roomonlycodes

6 days = 4 Disney Parks, 1 day each, 2 Universal Parks, can be enjoyed in 1 day and a day at Seaworld. Depending on the dates you decide on, see what the weather is like before buying Waterpark tickets

Lots of helpful info at

www.wdwinfo.com

www.wdwmagic.com

http://allears.net

stay with us on the Forum, you'll be sorted out

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

If you do Epcot in one day you'll leave out more than half of it - but that's up to you.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

I think Partypa, the resident expert, has given you a lot of good advice. For a group of people who are generally first-timers, WDW is just too big and complex to be trying to drive anywhere (plus, you indicated you didn't want to worry about a designated driver, so letting others drive is better). I also agree that it is good to try to do just one park per day (as AhHah indicated, some parks maybe can't really be done neatly in one day, but frankly you could spend two weeks there and not cover everything, so don't feel that you must see everything in one trip). Please take her advice about not trying to go too close to Easter, as that is one of the busiest times of the entire year. Here is a site I just recommended on another thread and that you may find of interest when determining when to go:

yourfirstvisit.net/2010/…

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

Thank you so much. Very helpful. I totally forgot about easter, definitely great advice to avoid easter.

Are there any particular Disney resort hotels you would recommend for us?

Generally speaking, when are the safe bet months for warm temperatures for water parks and pools? I'm thinking Dec - March could be touch and go but maybe April would be warm enough? We're from Manitoba, Canada and used to very cold winters so anything in Florida is going to feel awesome weather wise, but not really sure on what is the safe bet months for water park/pool weather.

Thanks so much for your help so far. Trip Advisor has been so helpful for planning past vacations. We are used to Carribean all inclusives and recently went to Vegas. Now looking to explore the inner child and head to Disney World :) Trip Advisor Forums never let me down with great advice :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

April usually has very nice weather, and it is before the tropical season (which has hot muggy weather and the possibility of hurricanes). Also, the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival will be takign place then:

…go.com/parks/…

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

Some good advice above but compare the price of Disney hotels to other options. Disney hotels are good but can be extremely expensive and the rooms themselves are fine but nowhere near as good as what you can get nearby for less money. The big advantage, convenient access to Disney, is great but usually it's more useful for families.

Plus look at Discovery Cove. This is a premium, all inclusive (food and drinks included) limited admission park that offers unbelievable snorkeling, a bird sanctuary, lazy river and dolphin encounter. It's the highest rated theme park in Orlando on Trip Advisor for good reason.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

I'd agree with above post about the hotels, some real bargains out there that would fit nicely, maybe some of the hotels right next door to DTD, can walk to restaurants and bars in no time. Disney hotels are great but quite expensive. Only you know what is reasonable for you but we've done it a couple of times and wouldn't stay on site again, don't think you get as much for your money in Disney. We prefer a big villa with it's own pool, on a complex with club house, big pool, sauna's etc. Can work out quite a lot cheaper if there are a few of you in there. Only draw back for you is you need a car which we have never not had in Orlando. Great thing about Orlando is there is so much choice with accommodation, basic hotel rooms to lux suites, villas, condos, themed hotels etc. Probably too much choice !! Good luck choosing.

Oh and I'd do a day at each Universal park, unless ultra quite.

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

Would suggest Coronado Springs Resort, it's a Moderate Resort with a Deluxe Feel, quite Lovely for an Adults only Holiday. Room rates with the current Discount would be about $200 a night in February, not bad when you compare costs because you will have a very comfy, clean and safe place to stay, free and easy transportation, 100s of Restaurants and bars and lounges within walking distance and or short bus rides, extra magic hours etc, all the Disney Perks at no extra charge :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2568966

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

And for 2 rooms over a week compared to what a better room that's also comfy and safe at a non Disney resort they are going to end up paying $1400+ extra.

Imho if people are going to make such recommendations they should give such information.

And someone said above that Disney is too complicated to drive around for newcomers. I respectfully disagree. It's probably one of the easiest places to drive around I have ever visited with excellent and frequent signage, a simple layout and roads that are in great condition.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie - Where to Stay and What to See On Adult Trip?

I would note that I have always driven to Disney from Pittsburgh, and also drove between DIsney and Universal even on my first trip there. However, during my first trip to Orlando, when I did not have a good idea of where anything really was, the distances between resorts and parks, or the parking situation for cars, I was very happy to have the WDW buses drive me around from the hotel to the parks. That was the case even though things are well marked from the interstate all the way through the parks. Moreover, given that the OP was concerned about not having to have a designated driver, that still means that a rental car would not be a complete solution to their travel arrangements.