We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

daytona or cocoa beach

lehigh valley
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
daytona or cocoa beach

I am looking to take a 2 day side trip in june from orlando with kids and grandkids. With the help of the TA forums, i have narrowed it down to daytona beach or cocoa beach.

any opinions on the choice regarding activities, safety, etc would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
476 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
130 reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

Having been to both recently I think Cocoa beach is a bit boring to be honest. Daytona beach has a lot more stuff to do and the beach is 20 odd miles long so you have a good choice of sugary sand or sand with a bit more of a shell feel.

The Boardwalk is being revitalised and there are plenty of places to eat.

Drive up to nearby Ormond Beach or down to Ponce Inlet.

Safety may be an issue anywhere but I have never felt unsafe myself.

Diana

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

Between those two, I prefer Cocoa Beach. Lori Wilson Park is a nice place to go. beachhunter.net/cocoa-beach/lori-wilson-park…

The think that I dislike about Daytona Beach is that it is hard packed sand and cars drive on it and by you - all the time. I find it hard to relax with cars driving by, however slow. Also, a number of people (including small children) have been hit/run over by these vehicles.

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

There are lots of areas within that area that are non driving and Ormond Beach has less packed sand. See the map attached.

http://www.volusia.org/beach/bchmapn.htm

I still think Cocoa Beach is boring ;-)

Diana

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

Depends what you are looking for I think. Kind of very different areas.

Slower paced, less crowded, less busy, just chill-out type of place - Cocoa.

Busier, more active beach area, more activities, more walkable area, greater restaurant/shopping/bar/activities to choose from - Daytona.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,443 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

My personal preference would be Crescent Beach, north of Palm Coast, but that is not one of the two the OP is considering.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

I am going to Daytona Beach in January and staying at the Emerald shores resort.

I prefer the more activities of Daytona .

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

I think MarkB sums it up pretty well and the rest of the comments agree. It all depends what you are looking for. I've been to both and think Cocoa is more family friendly, but very quiet compared to Daytona.

nys
Level Contributor
197 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

I've been to both. There is definitely more to do in Daytona, and there are more restaurants and hotel choices.

9. Re: daytona or cocoa beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 10:21