We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need ideas when grandkids live out of town

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
need ideas when grandkids live out of town

My husband has two grandkids that live out of town (Ohio), we are from Philly...

We have been talking about possibly taking them on vacation next year to Universal or Disney, not sure yet. We are unable to drive long distance like that anymore, the most we could do comfortably is 3-4 hrs...Ohio is at least 8-9.....

The kids are too young to fly alone, so we are looking for suggestions....

Their parents can't really afford the expense right now..

I browsed online with Expedia and Travelocity and you really can't book 4 people roundtrip when two people are flying from a different state and they are under age to fly alone..or would we have to just see a travel agent (I was trying to avoid that)

Is there anyway to do that online?? I know we can request a connecting flight and meet the kids in Ohio, but....

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

It doesn't cost anything to talk to a travel agent, I would at least talk to one and get ideas from them. Good luck!

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

Is their any way that the parents can drive them from Ohio to Philly? maybe if you send them a pre-paid gas card if the expense is too much for them. ??

that honestly is the only thing I could come up with. Doesnt make any sense to go from Philly to ohio to orlando.

Jos

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

hmmm.. You could also book 2 separate flights.

One for you and your hubby to Ohio, and then return trip from ohio to Philly

then 2nd reservation for you, hubby and the grandkids from Ohio to Orlando and the return trip from orlando back to Ohio.

Jos

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

i do know that if you can get the grandchildren on a non stop flight to orlando they can fly as unattentend minors one of the parents can take them to the gate and put them on the flight.you can get a flight to get to oelando before them then you can meet them at there gate.we have done this with airtran and jetblue who have non stop flights.other then that they have a plan that will let a parent fly with the child and meet up with you then the parent takes' the next flight back home.you can also do a multy city flight where you fly to there airport then off to orlando this will be the easiest way and yes you can do a multy city flight on line..well best luck to you!!

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

Why don't you and you wife fly to Ohio, spend a couple of days, then you and your grandchildren fly to Orlando, then back to Ohio, spend another couple of days in Ohio, then fly back to PA.

You can use the travel sites to check prices by using the multi-city option.

Also, you can book your and your wife's flights, then book the children's, then call the airline and have them put your seats together.

If you grandkids are too young to fly alone, then you might want to go ot Disney instead of Universal. Universal is mostly for older children.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

thank you all for the great suggestions...

Josie, your comment

"Is their any way that the parents can drive them from Ohio to Philly? maybe if you send them a pre-paid gas card if the expense is too much for them". ??

I never thought about the pre-paid gas card.....great idea!

davesbabe

I wasn't aware that an adult could fly with the kids to meet us in Orlando..I will have to look into that...As far as the kids flying unattended, thats something we all would have to discuss..They are 8 and 9 years old...may or may not work..

thanks again everyone, we consider all suggestions!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

thedawnof31, your comment

"Also, you can book your and your wife's flights, then book the children's, then call the airline and have them put your seats together"

I like this idea too!

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

Maybe meet halfway? The parents could drive to BWI or Dulles, both of which have direct flights to Orlando and are still within the 3-4 hours for you. Harrisburg is also a possibility. You could break up the trip for yourself by doing a stay and fly at an area hotel--some offer free parking for the duration of your travel with one night at the hotel.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

@ Aster,

Great idea meeting half way.

All of these ideas are great. I really appreciate it.

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need ideas when grandkids live out of town

I think my Grand daughter was 7 when she started flying to visit her day by herself. Non stop only. Also you can book flights any way you want by calling airline. My DD flys from Va with son, picks up DD on stop over in Dallas, then goes to Austin together. If you call they will work it out for you. But I think if the kids are responsible, or whatever is possible at that age, they should be fine flying by selves and meeting you in Orlando.